Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

By Ed - Prevagen

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I've seen a couple of posts recently from new members who were mentioning Prevagen. Please don't spend your money on that stuff. We've had quite a few posts about it in the past, but due to a new upgrade on the site, the only posts that are available now are from 2 years or less in history. But there are some posts available through a search, so if you are inclined to spend your money on it, please do a search first. You will have better uses for your money.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited June 2023

I just want to second what Ed has said. I researched Prevagen and their studies. It is only a supplement that doesn't do anything. There are 1000's of reviews online just reading them alone convinced me. But the poor pwd are so desperate for something to help their failing memory. They have been sued 2 times and lost. I believe a third case is still pending.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’ve been aware of this for some time. I was taken aback and disappointed this week when the nurse at my parent’s assisted living facility suggested I have my step-dad start taking it. It definitely made me wonder about her knowledge level.

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

My DH took both Prevagen and focus factor. He thought they helped so we kept getting them for him. I didn’t think either helped him. We stopped getting them, but a year later he wanted to try rather Prevagen again. I let him try for another two months. No change as expected. What a waste of money and I am retired PharmD and knew better, but I do whatever DH wants most of the time.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

On my local PBS this morning was

Memory Makeover With Daniel Amen, MD

At best hugely controversial!!!!!

What works? Absolutely nothing exists that works for everyone!!!!

Best suggestion? Learn all about non-medical treatment.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If you want to try alternative treatment, consider reading the many threads that Lane Simonian has posted regarding aromatherapy and other naturals. He had good results for his mom. Of course, she was not cured, but she functioned a bit better. Do some searches. Also, read about Best Practices for the early stages.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney