Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

putting keyed locks on closets and spare bedroom doors

gampiano
gampiano Member Posts: 329
Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

OK, I completely lost it today, and the worst part of it is.... I have no remorse. The free style urinating by DH is out of control. I've put barriers up in front of doors to bedrooms, and that worked for awhile, but today, he removed a hamper and a baby gate and was about to pee(again) on the brand new bedding . I had made the bed up for some family who are coming to stay for a graduation. (dreading this, but the accommodations here are non existent or exorbitant as we are in a resort area). Fortunately, after reading some posts here, I had already put waterproof covers on all the beds in the house.

So i've decided to put keyed locks on the walk in linen closet, as that will definitely be a pee spot, and ditto on all the bedroom doors. I cant think of any other way to handle this. He's not at the diaper stage yet, so that's out. If anyone has a different solution, all suggestions are welcome. Need to preserve my sanity and hoping this will help. Now to find someone to install all the hardware....lol.

Comments

• annewilder
    annewilder Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My DH just doesn't quite make it to the toilet sometimes. This is problematic as we have a good rug in our bedroom. He wears a disposable brief at night which is a help. The wandering and urinating has not hit us yet. I send you a big hug.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I think this is one of the things that has no solution other than what you've already done. I'm sorry, and I know that's a horrible thing to deal with.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hi Victoria,

I forgot to mention that he does wear disposable pull up briefs, day and night. However, i wasn't familiar with that clothing company, so i will look into that. The briefs work well for leaking for sure. Ill check out the clothes. Thanks for the tip.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I’m sorry, I’m with you. I move furniture, put a dog gate at an entry that was then peed right over :-(, have child safety locks on doors. Safety 1st has a lever door handle lock version that uses adhesive rather than screws (for easier install. They also have screw-in versions) that has been effective. I also bought these on Amazon (couldn’t link..this is the description ) Improved Childproof Door Lever Lock (3 Pack) Prevents Toddlers from Opening Doors. Easy One Hand Operation for Adults. Durable ABS with 3M Adhesive. I haven’t used this one yet so i don’t know if he can figure it out.

I always want to ask “how long will this last” when something new starts happening and I know I’ll be told “everyone’s different”. Eyeroll. That’s the answer for everything and while true, sometimes it makes my head explode. Can anyone relate?

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Try proactively toileting him every two hours or thereabouts. In between times, observe him closely for signs of wanting to void.

Iris

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hook and eye closers installed up high have worked for some.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Man I feel for you. That has to be so hard to deal with. My DW sometimes can't make it to the toilet and she will throw a fit if I try to get her to wear depends.

So challenging! I'm sorry for you and everyone here! Hang in there!

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry you are going through this. The other night my DH who is mid stage dementia, got up to go to the bathroom and went into the closet instead. He was disoriented and confused said he couldn't find the toilet. Almost like he was sleep walking. I put night lights to help guide him to the bathroom. So far it hasn't happened again. This forum is very helpful knowing what to look watch for. The Neurologists are useless.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Went through that stage here. He had to go, pulled it out and went. Disposable briefs wouldn't have helped, he wasn't wetting himself. Clothes he couldn't have taken off on his own would have caused an uproar. There's no way he would have put up with that. It just was what it was. Luckily one of his favorite spots to go was in the kitchen garbage can, which was easily cleaned. And the bathtub. Again super easy to clean. Bonus to living in a rural area - he peed outside all the time.

Once I placed DH, he continued to pee everywhere. Staff said they'd either see him going or just come across a puddle and know it had been him. It stopped about the time he stopped being able to walk on his own.

• 13Nuget
    13Nuget Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary First Comment

My DH must have been disoriented when he peed in various places instead of the toilet even though he would have had to pass the toilet to get to those places. So he may not be incontinent at all. Just his usual confused self. I guess time will tell. Tried getting him to wear Depends but that was a no go. Have ordered a waterproof bed pad. Everyone's experiences are so helpful.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more