Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Emergency! Extremely hysterical

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW is becoming combative, yelling and hitting me while I'm driving, tried to open the door while in motion etc. Should I call an ambulance in this situation?

PS UTI is clear and waiting on a call back from neuro's office but in the meantime?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, either call an ambulance or take her to the emergency room and ask for psychiatric admission. The language to use is that you simply cannot take care of her at home any more, she is danger to herself and to you.

This likely needs to happen before she can be placed in memory care anyway. The social workers on the geriatric psych ward can help you find an appropriate bed for her.

I'm so sorry, but this is not uncommon. It's what happened to us last year too (different threats, but the same general scenario).

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

M1 is spot on. Get her to the ER and be sure to be fully open and even a bit dramatic in your statement to the physician and the nurses. It is important to state that you can no longer safely care for her, that she has been an ongoing consistent danger not only to herself, but also to you.

Ask for a Geriatric Psych Unit placement. You do not want a regular Psych Unit, but a Geriatric Psych Placement. Do not accept taking her home; let them know you cannot care for her and that the severe attacks recur and continue; it is not safe. Lack of safety and inability to care are the important words for the ER doc to hang his/her hat on for admission to the special care unit and not taking her home again.

Let us know what happens, we are thinking of you.

J>

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I am so sorry that this is happening. Please keep us posted.

Sending you prayerful thoughts,

Maureen

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

This is so hard, be prepared for long night, your wife is going to probably present differently to whomever, be prepared to tell everything going on and like they said you have to make it clear if you want your dw to get help she isn't going to be safe and neither are you keywords repeat them as often as you need. I was in this situation 11 months ago. Like m1 not the same threats but the same need. My prayers are for you both.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

There's nothing more for me to add. You have excellent suggestions above. Just know that we're here for you. I hope things get headed in the right direction soon.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more