Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

physiotherapy for ALZ patients

gampiano
gampiano Member Posts: 329
Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Has anyone had experience with using physical therapy to improve balance and movement?

I'm wondering if i can ask the VA doctor to prescribe this for my DH. He is still walking slowly and is able to climb stairs, but is not doing much around the yard and doesn't seem interested. This is a big change from last summer, when we both pushed old style mowers around. We go to the market a few times a week and he pushes the cart, but that's about it. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks!

Comments

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

DW and I were always regular walkers doing 2-5 miles a day. As her dementia progressed she began having trouble with balance. Part of the problem was she was not picking up her feet enough and so would occasionally stumble. Her neurologist recommended PT, but also noted it doesn't always help for very long. We did two series about six months apart. (Medicare only allows for so many sessions per year). The trouble is the PT in part "teaches" techniques like remembering to pick up your feet I'm sure you can see where this might not work well as PWD can't really learn new techniques. PT is also a lot about strengthening muscles, but again for PWD, muscle strength is not the real issue, it's the fact that the brain is losing control of the muscles and exercise doesn't really help much. It also requires daily exercise at home in between sessions.

All in all my DW did it but I needed to orchestrate it all including the daily exercises. Maybe it helped a little but it couldn't overcome the progression of her dementia. Now, maybe 15-18 months after her last PT series, she is almost entirely wheelchair bound. But the progress of her dementia has been considerably faster than most

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My HWD also had PT for balance and all was well when he was with the therapist , but he would not do the at home exercises. When his sessions were over after a few months I did not push the issue any further. Now after walking for a bit he tends to “lean “over and sometimes topples to the ground. He will sometimes use a walking stick and that helps a little.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

We never tried PT, but we've had several threads about it on the forum. I don't think anyone who has tried it had any sustainable luck.

• cavenson
    cavenson Member Posts: 31
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH in ES thought he was having a stroke a couple of months ago. While a stroke diagnosis wasn't definitive, he did have greater weakness on one side and was referred to both physical therapy and occupational therapy; though he has walked slowly and limped for several years. He really enjoys the sessions and has bonded with the therapists. Originally, he had appointments for just a month, but they say he's making progress and have added on another month. He is being conscientious about doing the exercises at home, and they keep giving him different ones to do. I do see some improvement, though nothing dramatic. It gives him 4-6 hours a week to do something he seems to enjoy, and I have some more free time. So, for right now, it's a win-win. I would suggest giving therapy a try.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more