Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New argumentative behavior

Anna2022
Anna2022 Member Posts: 166
100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'm a frequent reader and sometimes post-er. MY DH is not yet diagnosed (although we finally have an appointment for an evaluation in August! - if he will go!) but I firmly suspect the truth. His short term memory is shot. And now he is becoming argumentative and almost delusional about recent past events, and lately he goes into a rant about himself where he says he's not a good person and sometimes mentions leaving the marriage or even suicide. One recent example- we were headed to a picnic with my brother in law and friend. Suddenly, DH didnt want to go and pitched a fit - the details are not important but suffice to say that it was a scene involving no memory of wanting to go, then wanting to go but then not wanting to go. Bizarre. Is this stress related to being with others on top of memory issues? Is there a best way to handle it? Today, I ultimately chose to stay home with DH but that made him angry and argumentative to the point of threatening to throw things. Again, are there good ways to handle this on/off argument stuff? Thanks so much for your wisdom and input!

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I wish I had better help to offer you than my confirmation that this behavior is not unique to your DH. The raging and arguing and the changes of mind have become so frequent in my world that "walking on eggshells" doesn't even begin to describe it. I never know when he's going to wake up and want to yell at me about some topic...then later apologize and beg forgiveness. It's terrible.

The only two things I can thing of to do are these. First, look out for physical discomforts, hunger, or tiredness as maybe instigating factors that can be remedied. Second, as unbelievable as it may sound, I've had luck with literally waiting 10 minutes and introducing a new topic of conversation.

I surely would mention this kind of behavior when you finally do get to the doctor.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I personally would not wait for specialty evaluation. I would let his primary care doc know this is going on and ask for medication help well before August. If they are not willing to prescribe, maybe they could help you get the appointment moved up.

• Anna2022

Thank you mrahope and M1.... good ideas!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I agree that a visit to the doc sooner rather than later seems to be appropriate. This might be a long shot, but could he possibly have a UTI?

• Anna2022

No UTI. Do you have a preferred home test for UTI? Just checking.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

No, I don't think they're as reliable as one that takes a lab test. My wife had several UTIs, and I wanted to be as sure as possible of the results.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more