Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Can family members talk to neurologist on their own?

mrahope
mrahope Member Posts: 529
Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello, everyone. My DS and I have some questions for the neurologist that we feel awkward and unable to ask at DH's appointment tomorrow. DH is very difficult and may not respond well to our asking questions about prognosis, lifestyle issues, diet, etc. because of course (as many of you may have experienced) he "just has a few problems with this short term memory". We are contemplating a move nearer to my DS and DIL's home about 250 miles away, so they will be more involved with his care. We are approved to speak with the doctor via his privacy forms, but how would we set this up? Or is this just not something that's ever done?

Has anyone here done this? What did you ask? Did it prove beneficial?

Comments

• GG06
    GG06 Member Posts: 92
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Hi mrahope,

I am not able to speak freely at my husband’s appointments either. I get around this by writing to the doctor/NP in advance with my questions and updates on my husband’s current behaviors. It has been very effective for me. They either address my questions during the visit as though they are just giving information or they speak with me before/after the appointment. Good luck. I know it’s stressful.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

If your DH's doctor participates with a patient portal, you can email your questions and concerns. The response may come back thru the portal so best if DH does not know how to access.

• mrahope

That is what I had thought to do, loveskitties, but my DS was worried that it would take too long to clarify and wants an in-person meeting. FWIW, I don't think DH has the foggiest notion that such things as patient portals exist, so I'm going to at least try this alternative.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

speaking from personal experience: it's perfectly fine to ask the phsyician for a private meeting as long as HIPPA paperwork is in place. Happens all the time in a variety of circumstances. When you check in, I would either find a way to say something to the receptionist or the nurse that you need a few minutes of time with your DH not in the room.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited June 2023

Just a thought. If you can get a few minutes with the doc by yourself, you could ask that someone tells you, just before he is ready to be called in, that the lady's room is now fixed, so you can use it. That way he might not be upset that you are talking to the doc without him in the room. Get a few minutes privately then he can be called in. Maybe that could work??

• Laurie1282
    Laurie1282 Member Posts: 54
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

After my HWA's second testing by a neuropsychologist, my son and I requested a meeting with him without my husband attending. It was very helpful and there was no cost for the follow-up appointment. Just ask!

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Call and ask the receptionist what method the neurologist prefers. Seems to me that it would be a common thing with ALZ patients to speak with family privately.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I would expect a neurologist who sees dementia patients as a regular part of their practice would be able to make this happen for you.

At the memory center where dad was seen, they'd call him back and them send us to talk with the doctor about concerns/new issues. We could also use the patient portal.

HB

• mrahope

Thanks again for all of your input. We visited the neurologist today and said we'd use the portal, for now. But now that I know that many of you have done this, I feel much more confident in asking for this. I had no idea how much communication needs to happen in these cases, and how difficult it can be. You guys really helped me today.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more