Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

He has lost empathy

Anna2022
Anna2022 Member Posts: 166
100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'm a smart woman but I suddenly realized that DH has lost all empathy. I had to look up the definition of the word to make sure but, yup, he has lost that perspective and understanding of others. Wow. What a blow to realize today.

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

And just because you now have realization, it doesn’t mean that you can suddenly turn off your expectation of empathy. I’m sorry for the blow. It’s all about him, but where does that leave you? We get it. WE care about you, Anna.

• Drapper
    Drapper Member Posts: 79
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

I recently noticed the same thing. I was upset about something and he said … can’t always get what you want …. S… happens.

it is all about him. I feel like I’m disappearing. I try to let it not impact me…. So hard to go in the moment.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

We had a member who had a problem, and fell to the floor. Her husband actually stepped over her to go into another room, without even asking if she was OK. A classic example of loss of empathy.

• elainejr
    elainejr Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Yikes, I thought I had noticed this also but never wondered if it was "a thing" others experienced. My latest was. Couple weeks go when I was sick for about 5 days. It was like I hd to remind him I still didn’t feel well….but was expected to keep doing normal activities.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more