Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

screening for depression and progression--good and bad signs?

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,722
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So, even though she's more content at the new facility, my partner isolates a lot and wants to spend most of her time when I am not there in her room by herself. Doesn't like eating in a group setting, even. Never one for group activities, this doesn't surprise me. But the head nurse of the unit yesterday asked me if I thought she was depressed. I worry about it, but didn't really think so in my heart of hearts.

So today they had the NP come and talk to her. She scored a 0 on the geriatric depression screen (acknowledging that it has not been validated for PWD), and according to the NP gave very rational answers for why she prefers to be alone. She also told the NP that she had a wide range of emotions throughout the day and on different days (remember, she has a master's degree in psychology!). So I think she kind of blew the NP away (showtiming, I think). Her weight is also stable, so they are just going to watch her and keep trying to figure out ways to engage her, including some solo activities--they apparently have a few iPads they will give out with preprogrammed content, she thought she might like one of those. We'll see. But I was kind of blown away by the NP's phone call reporting this---to me, she is more and more confused, and her conversation makes less and less sense, so I definitely see some progression taking place. Confabulation and aphasia have both progressed dramatically.

On the other hand, I got her engaged in "teaching me to draw" on Sunday. This was the result. Something I will probably keep forever.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Wow, M1! I would be surprised if you didn't keep it forever. That very well needs a frame.

I'm sorry she seems to be progressing, and even though we all know that is going to happen, it's still hard to see. It's always been hard for me to understand how they can showtime like that. It really makes you wonder.

But I'm glad things have moved in a better direction since the move, and it's great that you can finally spend at least some semblance of quality time with her now.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 2023

Beautiful picture. I echo Ed: I'm so pleased you are able to have more quality time with her. I'm sorry to hear that she is progressing, but it sounds like the new place is making an effort to work with you both.

I also want to thank you for teaching me a new term: Confabulation. I had to look it up - sent me down a Google rabbit hole. THIS!!! This is what's happening. It helped me connect some dots. He says things that just aren't true and don't make any real sense. I was worrying that he was having hallucinations. Am I understanding this correctly? Basically the pwd is fabricating the story, not to lie but more so it makes sense to them (like they're filling in the gaps for what they don't know)? I have so much to learn and you, Ed, and so many others on this forum are incredible teachers.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited June 2023

"I remember better when I paint"

Please Google this, it has helped PWDs.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jeanne, you said "Am I understanding this correctly? Basically the pwd is fabricating the story, not to lie but more so it makes sense to them (like they're filling in the gaps for what they don't know)? " Yes, that's right. We have a member whose house was badly damaged by the hurricane, Katrina. Some time after that happened, her father was telling her about his house that was damaged badly by Katrina. So while he remembered the incident, he thought it was his house that was damaged, not hers. So while they might remember something that happened, they might not remember the specifics.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more