Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

By Ed - About character limits on posts

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I wrote to admin. about possibly removing the limits for posts, and why it would be a good idea to remove limits. Jo C. has made quite a few long posts on the site before the new update, and they provided a ton of very important information for members, but now she's limited, meaning the members suffer the loss of good information. If you'd like to have no limits on characters for posts, please let them know. Without a lot of feedback, I doubt anything will change. Here's the answer I received:

Thank you for your participation in the ALZConnected community. We greatly appreciate your feedback and know that your perspective as a participant in this community is valuable. We will not be altering post length at this time, but we will take these comments into consideration when we have the opportunity to make improvements on the site that improve the experience for our community members. As always, please continue to use the Contact Us form to share any questions, concerns or suggestions.   

Sincerely,

ALZConnected Moderation Team

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thanks Mayor. I have gone back to copying my text when I am writing an email. I like that I can email folks without a connection. And if I ever email somebody and they don't want me too I would hope they would tell me. I had my tablet out last night and I don't see all of the buttons you have in that screenshot? It's only about 3 yrs old it's an acer 2in1 chrome book.

• Ed1937
    edited June 2023

I'm also on an Acer chromebook, about 2 years old.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited June 2023

Ed, I now have a "work-around" for this. I had a Member with many issues and a lot of input needed. My Post was too many characters to Post, yet the info was valid and needed to be sent . . .

So what I now will do, is have to make a Post two parts and let the Member know that is what is being done. Part I will be one Post and Part 2 will be on an additional Post. I had reported my experience to Admin. re the limitation on numbers of characters, and the feedback I got was I had done the right thing by making my Response in two parts.

There is no notification when one is reaching a character limitation. The only message comes when one is trying to process the Post - it will not process it AND if one looks up at the very top of one's Posting, there will be a message in red that the Post has exceeded the allowable limit . . .

So; if one writes a lengthy Post and it will not process, check the very top of the beginning of the Post to see if you have received a message that the Post is too long.

J.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited June 2023

No message shows up on my android phone that I have exceeded the posting limits.

Iris

• Ed1937

Jo, that's one way to handle it. But that's another area where this software change lacks from the previous system.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more