Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Citalopram ?

Scooterr
Scooterr Member Posts: 168
100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Has anyone had their LO on Citalopram (Celexa) for anxiety? If so what results have you seen good or bad? My wife has started having mild to moderate anxiety through out the day. She was on Seroquel for hallucinations, but now I'm able to redirect them and she has been off Seroquel for over 6 months. When she was on Seroquel she was zombified and that was on a very low dose 12.5 a day. I'm hoping to find something for her anxiety that will not knock her out. Open to any inform that would help. Thank You.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Scooterr I can't add anything,except that I applaud you for being able to take the steps to take away the Seroquel. I am always afraid of rocking the boat. Judy takes 20mg of escitalopram for her anxiety and depression. I am thinking of backing off on her olanzapine, the charge nurse said she's OK with that. Today starts tramadol for pain.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband's NP just increased him from 5 to 10 mg of escitalopramescitalopram. It has been working better than trazadone did but still had daily anxiety attacks.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

H was put on 10 mg Citalopram at bedtime for agitation, angry outbursts, and sundowning. This was in October. So, it wasn't exactly anxiety. It greatly reduced his symptoms. He was calmer, not shouting and scaring the dogs, or arguing with I don't know who. He has not been foggy or sleepy.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

This should be a good choice and worth a tty. It's the generic for Celexa, an SSRI antidepressant that's been around a long time and generally well tolerated. Wide dose range, from 10-30 mg once daily, some would even push to 40 mg.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I can speak for myself as I have been on Celexa for many years for anxiety. After DH was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, my Dr increased my dosage. It really takes the edge off for me and I never feel groggy or doped up. I hope it works for your DH. Even while I was on it ( still am ) I took care of my DH for over 4 years. He is now in memory care and I see him everyday.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DW is on 30 mg escitalopram (generic Lexapro) for anxiety. It has worked pretty well.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi, Scooterr. My DH was started on citalopram in late March. I had started him at an adult day care program in February and he was having extreme separation anxiety. One day he got angry there and his speech became aggressive. It so happened we were seeing his neurologist the following Monday, and he suggested this drug. Initial dose was 5 mg/day in the morning; after a month with no ill effects, it was increased to 10 mg. He has tolerated it well. The separation anxiety is much better; he enjoys the day program and is much less anxious about being separated from me. I am, in fact, starting him on a second day this week. Has it fixed everything? No. He still seems to sundown a little and paces more than I'd like, particularly in the late afternoon. But he seems happier and more interested in things he had pretty much given up -- he is again taking down his favorite books and leafing through them, and that had gone away completely before we added this drug. I think he smiles more, too. I am glad that I pursued it and am glad that it seems to help. (The only other drug he takes is generic Aricept.) I would encourage you to try it; they start with a small dose, and if it does not agree with your DW, it can be stopped. Before I started DH on it, I discussed it with my niece, a very smart psychiatrist. I asked her, if this was your husband, would you give him this drug? She said if it were her husband, he would have been on it a while ago. I hope it helps your DW.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Does your wife have any heart issues? If so, escitalopram (Lexapro) would be safer than citalopram (Celexa).

There is really no downside to having her try it. Cost 💲 is minimal.

• Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Thank you good folks for your input and knowledge. It's been awhile since I posted a question, but as always your so helpful. I hope everyone is staying healthy and taking care of themselves the best they can. We have a doctors appointment next Monday and I'm going to suggest to the doctor, I would like to try the Citalopram. We have a very open minded doctor so I see no trouble in getting it for DW. I feel at this point it may be a great benefit to her and me. Again thank you much.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more