Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

By White Crane: Re 56th Wedding Anniversary

The day came and went quietly. It ended up being a very pleasant and peaceful time together. DH never did really comprehend that it was our anniversary but like Josey and some others said...I knew. Whenever I told him about it, he looked surprised and said, "But I'm not that old." That made me smile. I gave him lots of hugs and kisses and he told me he loved me. After thinking about it, I decided to show him the cards we had received. He enjoys getting cards so that made him happy. And I was able to find a picture of each person or couple who sent a card so that helped. Our youngest son had taped a picture of himself and his wife inside the card and labeled it: Your son followed by his name and Your daughter-in-law followed by her name. Wow! That was such a good idea! DH loved it and kept coming back to it. When we opened the next card, he wanted to know where the picture was. I ordered a pizza for lunch. No need to upset him by trying to go out to eat. He enjoyed the pizza. Later, we played a game of rummy and watched an old movie on TV. We went to bed and held hands and said I Love You. All in all it was a very good day. Thank you all so much for your good wishes and comments.

Brenda

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Awwww that's so good. Thanks for sharing that. Good idea with the pictures with names, I'll be trying to incorporate that with the cards my wife got for her birthday. Still haven't opened most of them.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

WOW! It sounds like you really did have a good day! Your son should receive a medal for enclosing the pics, and labeling them. What a great idea!! I'm glad things worked out well for both of you.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Love this for you. Happy anniversary.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Brenda thank you for sharing your beautiful and quite anniversary. I don’t think it could have been a better one. I particularly loved the holding hands and saying I love you. Like others have said your son deserves a medal for posting the pictures in the card.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,214
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Brenda, lou and I celebrated our 56th anniversary back in March and it was like any other day. Last year for our 55th I decided to drive to Texas and have a big celebration with family around us. The 3 hour trip was not good and the party didnt turn out like I had hoped. Like you, I just try to cherish the few moments she seems to be happy and enjoying it.

Ron

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Brenda,

I am happy the day turned out well. And yes, cherish those shared moments- - pizza, playing cards, watching an old movie and expressing your mutual love for one another. I lost all that years before DH passed and didn’t realize how much I missed it until it was gone forever. Here’s to many more “Happy Anniversaries”.

• RSeckman/12
    RSeckman/12 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Yesterday June 14th was our 48 years wedding anniversary. I told my DH what day it was and his reply was uh. It broke my heart. I was so sad that he really had no comprehension of what that ment. He was diagnosed during the pandemic. I am not coping well at all. I get angry at him and then myself. I feel quilty. I just hate that this is happening to him. We have been together since i was 15 years old. Have a wonderful family. 2 kids and 5 grandkids that love him so much.
    I just need to vent i guess. Thanks for listening.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear RSeckman/12, Happy Anniversary! I'm sorry it's so hard for you right now and that your DH could not remember your anniversary. It is sad and it does hurt. Sending hugs.

This forum is a good place and you will find a lot of information and help here along with a lot of love and understanding. Please post often and let us know how you are doing. Ask lots of questions. There is always someone here who has been through what you are going through or feeling the same way or similar. If you haven't already done it, please contact an eldercare lawyer. That person will guide you through all the legal things you need to know and do. And please, don't lose heart. You are coping the best you can. Sending love and big hugs.

Brenda

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney