Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Help with downsizing

DH was diagnosed 3 years ago with mild dementia. Is slowing forgetting increasingly and very confused. Doesn't know his way when we drive in a familiar location. We live in a large home and although I think it's time to downsize, he is unable to make that decision. He says it will be too traumatic. He is very comfortable in the current home. Our daughter lives 50 miles away and wants us to move into an apartment closer to them. How do I convince him this is for the best.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

It seems that almost all of the decisions we are faced with are double edged.

The pro of moving could be that your daughter would be of great help to you. Unfortunately that is not a given. She has her life to live and may not be of much help push comes to shove. Please look at that realistically.

The other thing to consider is that a move from the familiar will likely be very disruptive to your husband. You have already noticed confusion when he is in a familiar place. I hope when you say he does not know his way that he is a passenger and not driving. He is simply not able to drive anymore and that is based on reasons other than his getting lost.

A third thing to consider is his medical care. Will you need to find new Drs?

What is your plan B for placement. Yes, you may really need to do that. Compare the facilities where you are with where you may move to.

A n additional consideration is will you lose your support system....friends, activities. How much effort are you willing to put forth into creating a "new" life?

Look carefully. Weigh out the pros and cons but I guess the bottom line is that when you line up the pros and cons and make a decision it is still a crap shoot.

We can but hope for the best.

Please do keep us updated and in the loop. We are here to offer ideas and to lend a shoulder to lean on.

-Judith

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Judith said just about everything I would have said. Decision making is now on your shoulders. It's fine to let him think he is involved, but final decisions have to be yours. Just be aware that a move could be cause for him to bring on new symptoms that may disappear with time. I'm glad she mentioned that you might not have as much support as you think. Many people who move to be near family for support find out that it just isn't as beneficial as hoped.

If you decide to move by your daughter, is she in the same state? If not, some legal papers might need to be made again if you move. And while speaking of legal papers, have you seen a CELA (certified elder law attorney)? If not, this is something you really need to do before long. Putting this off could wind up costing you thousands of dollars.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Of course you know your DH's condition will only worsen over time. I echo others' advice and make sure you see an elder care attorney, have wills drawn up, power of attorney for financial and health. Even if you do decide to live closer to your daughter be sure it is a place that has independent living along with assisted living and memory care. We moved to such a place 4 and 1/2 yrs ago and my DH went from our apartment to memory care 10 mo ago.

• Nancy Anne
    Nancy Anne Member Posts: 20
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Thank you all for your caring and insightful thoughts. Yes, it is a journey and prayerfully I will make the right decision on whether to stay or go. Looking at it from the perspective of where I will be happy when I am alone has given me even more to think about.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I can definitely relate to what you are saying. I have just made the decision to move about 200 miles to be closer to my son and his family. They have been exceptional in showing up. DS has attended all neuro appointments via FaceTime. He's already researched healthcare for us in the new location. But still I worry.

The advice to think of where/how you would like to live as a widowed person is good. I think I would feel happiest being near my grandchild, even though my current city is very rich culturally. The new community is a university town, so I am hoping to enjoy that. Truthfully, as it is, with DH so compromised, we rarely can take advantage of what our current city has to offer anyway.

It's a tough call. I wonder if I will be able to make friends in the new place, get in-home care for DH or if he will end up in MC because of the big changes. I feel like, for myself, I have to try.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 891
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband was diagnosed 2 years ago. We traveled full time in an RV. We parked it while he was being diagnosed. Once the diagnosis came, the Neuro Psychologist that did the 3 hour test said he needed to stop driving. I made the decision to rent a one bedroom apartment on my own after fully researching. Needed ground level, handicapped parking near the door, walk in shower. Found a place within a mile of his doctors. We moved into the apartment one year ago. He wasn't happy but has accepted it. He did have a few issues of where things were but we solved all those by putting his things on the counters and not putting them away. He did sign the first lease. My sister also has dementia and my brother-in-law advised me to immediately get a DPOA drawn up by an attorney and I'm so glad I did. In one year, he can no longer sign his name. I sold the RV and with the DPOA could sign for him. I just signed the lease renewal using the DPOA. Our options were buy a house, rent an apartment or move in with my daughter. I didn't want to have to take care of a big house and yard and moving in with my daughter wasn't an option. She works from home and our presence would be disruptive to her. I'm very happy with our apartment. One bedroom, manageable, and if something breaks I can just put in a maintenance request. So do what's right for you. I explained the options to my DH and he seemed to understand it was about my ability to easily care for him. You will need support. Read the book "The 36 Hour Day" It helped me a lot. I now have respite care come one afternoon each week to have some time to myself. I used to use a Pros & Cons list when I had a difficult decision to make. That might work for you. List all the pros of moving on one side of the page and then list all the cons on the other side. I our case, the pros outweighed the cons. Please keep us posted.

• Nancy Anne
    Nancy Anne Member Posts: 20
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Thank you for your insight. I have been feeling so sad the last few days. It was the long weekend over the 4th of July and we did absolutely nothing. We live in Maryland, and it was rainy, hot, and steamy. We normally go to our lake house in the Finger Lakes in upstate NY. Our kids and grandkids were all there so it was best to stay home away from the turmoil. I missed it so much!!! Anyway, the pitty party is over. I just had to tell someone.

I plan to do a pros and cons list about moving. I have a large social group in our community and will miss that if I decide to move closer to my daughter. Thankfully, I can leave my DH alone for some hours now, but I know eventually I won't be able to. He is happy to stay at home so I can get out. I try to choose only social activities that mean the most to me to stay connected with friends. I know eventually I will not be able to leave him alone and will have to hire someone to help. It's just so sad that we can't do more together.

I am not sure if I am ready to go to an apartment since we have a large home. The move will be so difficult since he does not want to go.

One day at a time and with prayer and help from my family the right decision will be made.

Thanks for listening.

• clndaniels
    clndaniels Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary

One day at a time is the way to go, but you also have to think of what is coming. We have gone through the diagnosis, not driving, being able to stay alone for a few hours, to having caregivers in the home for me to get sel time to a MCF to now approaching seeking a SNF. It is a long journey we have been having for over 6 years. We did have all the POAs in place which has been a blessing, but having to make all the decisions is exhausting both physically and emotionally. Hang in there! You can do it!

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Nancy,

I am so very sorry that you are having to be here. It sounds like to are pretty strong and already understand the mental and emotional challenges of this disease. Good for you to embrace the attitude of pity party then to push on and move forward. That will get you through this. Nancy, I first paniced when we got the diagnosis and thought we had to move from a place I truly love. However, I realized that I had to think long-term to when I would be solo - when did I want to be? Could I manage the care in my home? It sounds like to love where you are with a social circle etc. Like others have said, make a list of pros and cons but please put on the list what you would want for yourself in the future.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more