Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Incontinence?

My 63 year old husband is in the middle stages of Alzheimers. Although he is not exactly incontinent, there is definitely an issue with bowel movements. He goes to the bathroom, however, much of the feces does not end up in the toilet. It ends up on the floor, the toilet rim, and definitely on his hands. The hands are a problem because there is then feces on the towel, the blanket, the pants, etc.

Any insight or tips for helping control this problem? Definitely causing much family stress.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Unfortunately, this means you will need to supervise him in the bathroom. At this point, verbal prompts may be enough to manage the situation.

HB

PS Inexpensive shaving cream can be helpful for masking fecal odor when cleaning floors and walls.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I have to supervise my wife. Even though she sits down ok she doesn't clean but one swipe. She'll touch it with her hands, etc. She also doesn't give herself enough time to finish her business before she cleans so I have to tell her to sit there for a few minutes. She gets upset with me for doing that. Lately, early in the morning I've just punted and hoped for the best but I know that will bite me soon so I need to stop being lazy about it.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I was told to use Vick's vapor rub under my nose to clean up strong odors.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Your husband needs supervision in the bathroom. Look up Teepa Snow videos on YouTube on this topic.

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Close supervision is key. A bidet toilet seat (around $300 from amazon) is very handy as this progresses. Then all you have to do is use a little TP to dry him off. It uses a spray of warm water to do the cleaning. Rick

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited June 2023

This is one area where you may get a lot of "Get out of here" from the PWD. It can be very hard, but there will come a time when there is no other way but to do the job for them. In the beginning, prompts may work. I think you have to show a lot of empathy when this time comes. Let them know that you know it's hard for them, and you're sorry. Keep repeating that it's OK, and you'll get it done together. Try not to become upset (even if you have to clean walls, etc.) because that will only make things worse. Keep the mood light.

I agree that a bidet may be very helpful. You should be able to find one for less than $300.00 on sale at Costco or Amazon. Some have a system like the hand dryers you find in public restrooms. There are a lot of options available, so if you look for one, be aware of what is available. They can also help with UTIs.

• F&E
    F&E Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Perhaps your DH has urgency issues and can not get to a toilet quick enough (a form of in continence) my wife had this in the middle stages before complete incontinence.Would depends help contain the mess ? , I use them for my wife,now. A lot of coaching,explaining and pleading are required to get cooperation from the PWD. Also is there a pattern that you could anticipate and prompt your DH to use the toilet as a preemptive act. My wife soils the depends I cut them off at the hips wipe and/r shower if needed.GOOD LUCK

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Using Depends helps and supervising is a must. Have rubber gloves handy in the bathroom, along with aerosol shaving cream and paper toweling. The shaving cream really works to clean up the poop and also dissipates the smell. Get the type of spray that neutralizes smell so after he uses the bathroom you spray the air. Don't make a big deal about it but just be matter of fact saying you are helping him to keep him clean etc. Just bring new Depends and clean slacks into the bathroom. My DH was at the point where he was spraying the walls and I was losing it as he had Crohn's desease which causes extreme diarrhea. I took care of him for over 4 yrs but had to place him in memory care 10 mo ago. Dementia patients are still attuned to your mood so try to stay calm and matter of fact. Try to keep him on a toileting schedule much as you would a young child as that may help with accidents .

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more