Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hearing Loss

LUDA
LUDA Member Posts: 1
Third Anniversary

My husband who is in the latter stage of Alzheimer's is having a hard time hearing me. I can't decide if he is just exerting his will and not opening his eyes when I try to wake him for lunch or if he is not hearing me. Any ideas?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I didn't know if my wife could read, even though she would hold a magazine for quite some time. So when I found some very large type, I asked her if she could read that because I told her I thought she might need new glasses. You might try something like that, only with audio instead of type.

Welcome to the forums. Sorry you need them, but they are top notch. You will get a lot of help and understanding here. Just be active posting to get the most from the forum.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Stand behind him quietly and jingle some keys or softly blow a whistle--see how he responds. If his eyes are closed, he may be asleep. PWDs need more sleep.

Iris

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If he is late stage, it's possible that his brain cannot process the meaning of words any longer. Does he have trouble with speech?

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am hard of hearing. I ask everyone to please be certain they have my attention and then speak slowly and distinctly. Simple sentences are best. Alway place yourself so that your husband can see your lips too.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My LO, before diagnosis, went and got hearing aids. Turns out her hearing was fine and she was probably just having trouble with comprehension. I say this because when she moved next door so I could care for her, she didn’t wear her hearing aids and had no trouble hearing anything and everything. Unknown sounds would alarm and confuse her too.

I might consider the cognitive decline before actual hearing loss. A new apparatus to wear might also be difficult for your husband to get used to. You’re decision, whichever you choose, will be the best one.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 891
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH has been saying he can't hear me for 2 years. He only has mild hearing loss in one ear but won't wear his hearing aids. I finally realized that he can't understand what I'm saying and just thinking he can't hear me. When I look at him and speak slowly he can understand better. My sister also has dementia and some days she won't get out of bed. It's because her brain is overwhelmed and she wants to shut things out. My DH sometimes wants to sleep past 10AM. I get up before he does, make breakfast and then go in and wake him. If he says he doesn't want to get up, I tell him that he must get up to take his pills and that after breakfast and after he takes his pills he can go back and take a nap. (which he never does but does fall asleep in his recliner more often).

• ????
    ???? Member Posts: 24
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My wife is the same way.. She has very good hearing aids which they cannot adjust anymore. Nuerologist say part of the problem is the brain is not processing what goes from the ears to the brain. It makes things very difficult, she often thinks she hear something different that what is being said.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Processing is really an important element. Thus the getting the attention, speaking slowly and clearly and using simple sentneces.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more