Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How do we handle everything & not feel free to do nothing

GSR
GSR Member Posts: 1 Member
sometimes I feel like I don't have a life. Always going from one thing to another. Take care of him but also have to keep our busines going along with house chores & follow up with repairmen. How to gandle?

Comments

• KathyF1
    KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I understand! I think we all do. Life feels overwhelming. Everything is on us. Know you’re not alone. This is just really hard, so much responsibility and it seems like there is very little joy. This has actually drawn me closer to God because I need Him more now than ever. Praying He’ll give you strength and courage!

• lsjay
    lsjay Member Posts: 3
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Wow. I'm sorry it is so difficult. I'm just starting our journey and I already don't have as much free time as I would like. Still, he doesn't need constant care, but I know it's coming. I'm trying to take better care of myself so I'm strong and healthy, but don't know if that will happen. I have looked into some of the resources here and maybe you can find a caregiver to just come in twice a week so you can do you? Or friends that can sit with him for a while? Any family nearby. You may just have to ask for the help.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

GSR and Isjay, welcome to the boards. Sorry you need them.

Well, GSR, this is a job that keeps changing, never letting you feel like you can coast through it. A lot of people do this job, and nobody will tell you it's easy. I know keeping a business going can be more than a full time job, and it could come to the point where the business has to be lost or you might have to find someone else to handle it for you. Or you might have to have someone else handle the caregiving job for you. Another possible option might be that you can learn enough about how to handle things, and make things work. There is a popular book entitled "The thirty six hour day". It deals with caregivers and dementia, and several people on this forum swear by it. It might be worth a read for you.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 2023

I understand! I'm a photographer and I have had to pass up so much work because it's not appropriate to bring my DW along in most cases and much of my work is out of town. Very difficult to focus on the job at hand while trying to keep an eye on my wife at the same time and explain to my client that my wife has dementia and I have to bring her along.

Hoping the new daycare schedule will work smoothly and I can go back to work somewhat.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more