Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

By White Crane: "I can't be an adult."

That was what my husband said to me yesterday morning. He was upset and said it several times. When I asked him what he meant, he said, "I can't drive a car anymore. I can't ride a bike. I can't go for a walk by myself; I might get lost. I can't stay by myself. I need someone with me. I can't go to a store and buy something. I can't be an adult." That really got me. He was making so much sense but I had never thought of it that way...I can't be an adult.

A couple of other things he has said lately make a lot of sense also: "We used to have fun...when we both had our act together." "When you're a kid, you learn things. When you grow up, you do things. When you get old, you forget things."

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited June 2023

Brenda those lucid moments to me seem so hard. How true what you wrote!

Stewart

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm sorry, Brenda.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Gut punches. My partner recently told me she doesn't think she has much time left. I hope she's right, and I hope she's wrong.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

As M1 said, Gut punches. I swear the moments of clarity hurt more than the confusion. I would hug you if I could.

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Yes WC, it is indeed tough. I took my DW back to her home in MC after a day out and about with myself and her sister who was visiting, tucked her into bed, and she looked at me with a look that seemed to say "Why here?"

• Annen1014
    Annen1014 Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments

I think your husband is very insightful. I know my DH feels the same way.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more