Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I'm hurting

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Today is father's day, and in 6 days my wife will be gone 1 year. Yes, dementia causes hurt, but for me it was nothing like death. Not even close. We spent a lifetime together. Today I would like to be alone, but that won't happen. The lyrics of this song really got to me. The music doesn't start until 10 silent seconds into playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO50lq2h4Gw

Comments

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Ed, I understand exactly how you feel Friday June 16th was the 6th year of my wife's passing, and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about her, especially on the holidays of any type. However, for me this Father's Day is not a day of joy and happiness because on May 28th I lost my daughter after a 10-year battle with cancer. Not only is this my first holiday without her but the extra hurt comes from the fact that she was a daddy’s girl, and anyways made sure that Father's Day we're extra special for me. Even more so after my wife passed away. It seems so unreal that almost six years to the day after my wife passed that I would lose the one who kept me sane, the one who helped me heal a broken heart, the one who loved me as much as my wife loved me. It is bad enough mourning the loss of one love, but mourning the loss of two loves, some days is more than I can take. I do have a son, and I have some 2 granddaughters and 3 great granddaughters, but they cannot take the place that she had in my heart, or the love that we shared. I pray that you will have some happiness this day.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed and Last dance - it’s a horrible Father’s Day for my spouse too. We are still devastated from our sons passing April 24. Our remaining son has invited us for lunch and strawberry picking with our granddaughter ( her activity choice). All we really want to do is stay home alone. At least no one has wished him Happy Father’s Day yet this morning. Way too many people who should have known better wished me Happy Mother’s Day last month.

• Ed1937

I'm so sorry for people dealing with any loss, especially that of a child. We lost a son in 1998, but that pain has diminished significantly with time. Any loss is terrible, but it's the fresh ones that cause so much pain now. I'm sorry.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you, Ed for posting that beautiful song! I love those oldies from the 50’s and 60’s that you could actually decipher the words to and sing along. The lyrics came right back to me. Happy memories of happier Father’s days to all those out there who are quietly mourning today. Better days to come.

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Sending much love to Mayor Ed and all the rest of you dealing with past and more recent losses. My DH (who died this June 4) has been much with me today, but in a good way. Frankly, I'm so glad for him that he's free at last that it's freed me up to recall more positive memories. For a while, I was afraid I wouldn't get those back again.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending love, light, and hope for healing and peace of mind to those who are missing loved ones today.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I understand. (((((ED)))))

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

So sorry to hear of your losses. May you find peace, joy, and live with ease...somehow.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I'm so sorry for all of you grieving these losses today, especially you, Ed.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@Ed1937 - I hope your day ended up being much better than you expected. Our granddaughter sure made ours- she loved picking strawberries.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

🙁Hugs to you .you have been such a help to all of us . Tomorrow is a new day

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Ed and Last Dance,

I wish there was something better to say than I am sorry for your losses. I hoping that you will find peace and comfort in all of the beautiful memories together and have the hope of one day being reunited with your loved ones.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Just sending out those hugs that heal to each of you who are grieving today

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Sending those who grieve a virtual hug. I wish I could do more.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

(((HUGS)))

• Ed1937

Thanks everybody for your thoughtful comments. It's OK, we'll all make it through the hard times.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more