Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Experience 12 Minutes In Alzheimer's Dementia

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If you haven't seen this, it is eye opening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_Gq7Shc-Y&t=29s

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 2023

Important experience. This should be mainstreamed for sensitivity and awareness nation-wide, maybe worldwide.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Wow! Thank you Ed. This is such an eye-opening video.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Totally agree with @ButterflyWings even though it was painful to watch.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thank you, Ed . What a reality check.

• DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Difficult to imagine and horrifying. Thanks for sharing.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My heart breaks for both my mom and DW and to think I'm worried about myself and my own respite. There is no respite for them. It's understanding how emotions can run wild.

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

I want to watch this Ed, but kinda afraid. I'm still a little fragile, I've been wanting to view something like this for a long time. Thanks Ed,

Michele

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited June 2023

Michele, I think something like this really gives us a better idea of what they are going through, and it might make our job easier.

I have a son with mental illness, and I went to a 20 hour presentation (over 4 weeks) for families of mentally ill people. It was really much like this forum, in that people talked about the associated problems, and there was quite a bit of education. Several people there had a family member who suffered from hearing voices. My son never had that, thankfully.

One of the things we did: They broke up the group into 2 groups of 5 each to work together. The group I was in were given a card, each with different sayings on them. The other group was to sit in a chair, and that's all. I was to stand behind one of the people who were sitting in a chair, and repeat the saying that was on the card. The rest of our group did the same with their respective counterpart, sitting in a chair. We were told to whisper, yell, or speak normally to the one in the chair, then move to another, as the line moved. The sayings on the cards were something like "Be careful, they're all out to get you", "Don't listen to what they're telling you", "Nobody cares about you", etc. So each of the people in the chairs were hearing voices yelling, whispering, or speaking in a normal voice telling them something different. The ones hearing this were experiencing what it might be like for the family member to hear voices. I think the video listed above kind of gives us a better understanding, just like we had at the meetings I mentioned. It's eye opening.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Wow! I am almost in tears.

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Thanks Ed,

I'll keep ya posted, White Crane I'm in tears too much as it is. I'll wait awhile...

Michele

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney