Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How can I protect my DH from making a complete fool of himself?

My DH is progressing and is currently in stage 3-4 of dementia. He is still very social out in public, and people talking to him for a short time would never believe he has any issues. Last week we attended a neighborhood function - we have only been here since late October - and he spent time talking with a woman who is a board member for an area abused women's shelter. My DH was an educator and later an attorney, so on paper he looks like a perfect fit for a board member of an organization of this type. She asked him to submit his resume and a cover letter, and he has been invited for an interview! Of course, I know they will figure out fairly quickly that something is wrong, but perhaps not until after he is appointed, and it sounded like this will happen. I tried to gently remind him that he has some memory issues and this might be difficult for him to keep up with, but he was adamant that he wants to do something useful with his life. What would you do? I have not shared his diagnosis with new friends here, as I want him to be able to continue playing golf and socializing, but when they realize what a mistake this is, I fear that not only will he be devastated when he is asked to resign, but also that our neighbor will share the story with others. He needed extensive assistance from me to find an old resume and to compose a cover letter, so I know he cannot do this job successfully. I thought about refusing to help him, but he was so eager and excited. Should I have just said I wouldn't help and he wasn't up to it? That seemed cruel, and he is so easily hurt these days. Any suggestions will be most appreciated! Thank you all so much!

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear Peg,

I made sure my surrounding neighbors knew of my DH's problems to ensure that they wouldn't expect him to do something that would be harmful, to help them understand his behavioral changes and to help (when the time comes) if he wanders etc. All of our friends know, as well. I just think that honesty is best, and this is a disease that we should not be ashamed of, but to learn to have compassion for the patient and their loved ones. I know that some people are mean-spirited, but that is on them. My thoughts are to head this problem off at the pass as there will be other times when his behavior is noticeable, and they will eventually wonder.

I wish you luck.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi Peg. I think BW's post was excellent! It's hard to pick a best answer, when you will probably get several. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons of all posts, then pick whatever you will out of them to get the answer you're looking for.

I guess if I were in your shoes, I'd let them know that he has a progressive disease, and would not be able to do the job they would like him to do. You could ask them to keep it quiet because he is early stage, but there's no guarantee they will. Everyone will know in due time, even if you try to keep it secret.

My guess is that if you allowed him to take a job like that, without letting them know, you might be held responsible for any and all damages he could cause them. I doubt the law would look kindly at your decision to allow him to get the job. It really sucks, but you have to protect your assets (and his feelings) as much as possible. Sorry you have to make a decision like that.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Peg there were several circumstances in which I had to go behind my partner's back and let others know that she had progressive dementia. People were unfailingly understanding and kind. Even up until her MC placement, she would occasionally ask if others "knew." Sometimes I said yes, sometimes not. Fortunately she had retired professionally before symptoms became floridly apparent, but i had to say something to our banker and her investment managers without her knowledge--but my telling them only came as affirmation, as they had already suspected trouble based on their interactions with her. I would let your neighbors know, including the one who has asked for his resume for the women's shelter board. She can probably find a polite way of letting him down.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I like what Butterfly said about helping but secretly sabotaging. As far driving and I know there's more, but I guess I was fortunate that I was able to use COVID lockdowns as an excuse that I was the only one in the family allowed to drive. It worked. By the time it was over she never asked to drive much after that. I would take her to an empty area and let her drive around a little. Now I can't even let her drive a golf cart.

• Palmetto Peg
    Palmetto Peg Member Posts: 189
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Thank you all for your advice! Just for clarification, this is a volunteer position with no salary and he would not be handling money, so I don't think there would be any exposure there. I am going to talk to the neighbor and tell her what is going on with him, and suggest that he could help (actually we could help together) during specific fundraisers or events, rather than him having a permanent position on the board. She is a very intelligent woman, and I am sure she can find a way to make him feel that this would be a great way for him to contribute to the organization. I am hoping she will go along with that idea, as I do feel he would benefit from feeling useful. I was just so stressed over the whole thing that I needed some ideas to help me figure out what to do. Your suggestions helped so much!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Peg, I think that is a workable solution. It sounds like a win-win to me.

• Lhuerta
    Lhuerta Member Posts: 22
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Peg, I feel you. It's been two years since my DH's diagnosis and he has changed drastically. For a long time, I tried to keep it from people, foolishly thinking I could! It finally got to the point where I now tell everyone. I have small cards printed that I carry with me all of the time. They explain that he has Alzheimer's and thanks them for their kindness and patience.

One example - we went to Menard's. He loves that store and was very happy to be there. He still remembers exactly where the pistachios are that he likes so much. At check out, he hovered so close to the cashier and literally grabbed the change out of his hand. The cashier was startled, annoyed, and bewildered all at once. I flashed one of those cards and in a split second, he understood and was incredibly helpful.

Recently, a couple came into my store. I thought the woman was rude and wrote her off as a "mean old lady". When they stopped at the door, closer to me, I recognized though, that look that she had was dementia. The man was visibly embarrassed and I wanted to tell him not to worry, that I understood. I didn't have the chance to tell him that, and he was obviously not comfortable saying anything to me. It would have been so easy for him to show me that card and it would have alleviated the troublesome feeling that we both were feeling.

My DH is unaware of these cards and when I use them. He has agnosia and wouldn't understand. Sometimes people say, "I'm so sorry". I don't do it for pity, but just so they will understand what is happening. I've come to believe that people need to recognize dementia in different stages. There are so many afflicted and with the large boomer generation, there are going to be more and more.

You might not be at this point just yet but know that people can be incredibly kind when they understand what is going on.

Best wishes to you on this journey.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ugh, IMHO, I consider it abusive to put or keep a PWD into a situation that he or she can no longer handle.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney