Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Netflix or Disney Plus

Kevcoy
Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

It has been a long time since I've posted anything on this site. In fact this is the first time since the format change so I'm going to keep my question simple today. Besides regular TV we have had Netflix for years. I'm finding my LO just isn't very interested in most of the shows on them. He has always been a Disney fan so I'm considering switching to Disney Plus / Hulu. I'm wondering if some of you have thoughts which of the two you and your LO prefers. If I do switch I'm wondering if I can figure out how to get it on my TV since it seems smarter then me.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I have Netflix, but only for my son. I almost never use it. There are several free streaming channels that offer some programs he might be interested in. I don't have cable or any other streaming services. Only an antenna. I subscribe to cord cutter weekly, which is an email to let you know of ways to save money streaming. Here's a link. https://cordcutterweekly.com/ If you need more info, I'll see what I can find for you.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH enjoys the star wars, marvel, and Pixar movies as well as the Nat Geo shows so I switched from Netflix to Disney +/Hulu. You should be able to access easily with your smart TV. And if you have Xfinity, you can set it up through the apps screen so you don't even need to switch remotes.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Several classic TV shows from earlier decades are available on antenna tv.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

And I think PBS is free to stream. They always have some good stuff.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    edited June 2023

Check out YouTube, too.

My husband and son watch all manner of stuff there. They do have Disney music there plus park tours.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

We “cut the cord” about 5 years ago and stream everything now, using Roku devices. We have xfinity for the internet connection only, we don’t subscribe to any of their programming. We subscribe to youtubetv for local programming and an assortment of other programs like major news and home and other assorted channels. Netflix is one that we always kept, just because of the sheer volume of movies and series, old and new. It’s menu doesn’t always make shows easy to find, but we use the search feature a lot. We also have Amazon Prime which we’ve always had, initially because of the free shipping.

We regularly start and stop other streaming channels since they are all month to month and there is no penalty when you quit. We’ve had Disney a few times when they had a series or shows we wanted to watch, then quit when we weren’t watching anything on it. That was before it was combined with Hulu. We’ve had the version of Hulu with commercials for a few years. Got it free with a Spotify promotion. My DH loves that channel because they have all the old series from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s like Ozzie & Harriet, The Mary Tyler Moore show, etc., along with lots of other movies and tv shows. Tubi, which is free channel, also has a lot of old series, like Gilligan’s Island, My Favorite Martian, to name a few. He watches those during the day when he isn’t doing anything else.

Other channels we subscribe to on and off are AppleTV+, Acorn, with lots of British and Australian shows, and Paramont+. We start and stop these when they have shows we like. I do it all from my tablet. Never have to talk to anyone or beg for lower rates. Most have a week or so free trial. I set it all up myself and I was in my late 60’s at the time. It wasn’t very difficult and didn’t require a special tv, just a Sony with open HDMI ports.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more