Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

White Crane: Need advice for skin care for husband

My husband's skin is very dry and not in good shape. He has sores on his chest, legs, and arms. Now he has developed some on his face and scalp. Part of it is his constant scratching and rubbing. Even though his fingernails are bitten down to nothing, he still seems to be able to dig at his skin. The physicians assistant at the dermatologist' office has diagnosed it as seborrheic keratoses and prescribed a steroid cream. He also had him on Prednisone last month for twelve days. That has helped and a lot of the sores are cleared up. Everywhere there was a sore, there is now a purplish place on his skin. New sores keep popping up. It is so sad to see and he always looks surprised and upset when he takes off his undershirt and sees all the purple blotches and active sores. I keep thinking that if I could do something to help his dry skin he might feel better and not itch so bad. So far, I haven't found any product that helps very much. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Brenda, I'm sorry. You have had a lot to handle, and now this. I don't really have any suggestions about keeping the skin in better shape, other than asking if he is drinking enough water. I hope you find something. It must be hard for both of you.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I did a search for "dry itchy skin in elderly" and there were many returns, meaning many causes and thus many treatments. Try to find some drugstore products to go along with your medications. Try to hydrate the skin daily with a warm washcloth. It may not be necessary to use soap every day, because soap is drying. Apply lotion or cream liberally once or several times a day. Can he take an oatmeal bath? Low Vitamin D level can cause itchy skin. Check this out. Keep trying, itchy skin is very common in the elderly.

Iris

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

If DH is already using a prescribed cream, I suggest asking the dermatologist physician assistant for a recommendation for adding another cream. You don't want to have a reaction of one cream to the other making things worse.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

These two products have helped hubbie. Aquaphor and the anti itch was prescribed by hospice. Says steroid free and generic equivalent for SARNA.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

We don’t have sores but we’ve been using this cream as a moisturizer for years and have recommended it to friends who loved it as well. I purchased it originally as a facial moisturizer after using several different (expensive) ones that didn’t perform anywhere near as well. This is fragrance free, inexpensive and a 16 Oz. jar lasts for months and months. It used to be sold under the Solimo brand name, but ingredients are identical. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SWHLG2G?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k0_1_17&amp=&crid=1PPX4LF9DGMF8&sprefix=solimo%2Bskin%2Bcream&th=1 It feels wonderful on my skin and absorbs right in. It isn’t greasy. It might be a good choice for your DH.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

My mom's got terribly dry skin. Her derm prescribes her Lac-Hydrin 12% which seems to help with the tightness and itching. Ask the NP if this or some other cream would be an appropriate add-on. With insurance, it's less than one would pay for the tub of Cetaphil I swear by.

It's also important to only use mild soap where dirty and warm water showers/baths. And make sure he's hydrated.

HB

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thumbs up for Eucerin. My son is diabetic, and he had very bad cracks on the bottom of his feet. Podiatrist told him to get Eucerin, and in a few days there was a huge difference.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Brenda, one tip a dermatologist gave me was not so much about what moisturizer to use but how to put it on-which is immediately after getting out of the shower, without towelling off. Kinda "gloppy" at first, but it helps the skin trap the most moisture that way.

Hope you find something that helps...

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 2023

The guy with the serious skin disease here (which I almost certainly got from the stress of caregiving BTW).

My dermatologist recommended CervaVe for moisturizing. I get it at Costco at a much lower cost than chain pharmacies. I second putting it on wet skin. My dermatologist also noted that diligence is probably more important than the specific product. I had tried Eucerin and Aquaphor and they are good as well but I like the CeraVe best.

I might also mention that my DW's MCF prefers Calmoseptine Ointment Multipurpose Moisture Barrier as the barrier cream for the nether regions. My DW is on hospice and they provide another brand free, but the MCF thinks this works better and so they forego the free stuff.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I’m going to write them down and see what I can do to help get his skin cleared up. M1, and others who suggested putting the lotion on wet skin, thank you. I would never have thought of that.

Brenda

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney