Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

In person community prorgrams

Does anyone live in a community that sponsors in person programs for early stage dementia people? I and other folks in the Columbus, Oh area are withering away because we have no place to take our loved ones for socialization. Our sponsors still like to gather and talk. Maybe we can adopt something another city is doing. Thanks

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Rogi, welcome to the forum. Sorry you have a need for it, but it's a good one.

We don't have anything like that here, but I've thought it would be nice if people who have been through the caregiving experience teamed up to offer some type of daycare, free of charge. I'm sure there is a desperate need for this, but there would likely be legal problems to consider too. It doesn't seem to be easy to help others who need it.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Rogi, I would check with some of the memory care facilities in your area. The facility where my partner is currently residing has an outpatient program, where folks who are still living at home come for a day program. Demand is high, and I don't think they advertise it much. Your local Council on Aging might know of such programs? Just a thought, probably worth a phone call if you haven't talked to them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more