Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My son's mother-in-law

My son's mother-in-law has come to live with him and his wife. The mom has dementia and speaks a foreign language. The mom thinks my son does not like her as he does not communicate with her. How can I tell my son without making him angry with me. I try to help my daughter-in-law as much as possible to give her a break. It is a tough situation.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Does he not communicate with her because of the language barrier, or is it because of problems with dementia?

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Hi and welcome. It's really great that you are able to be a help for your daughter-in-law.

How do you know that your DS's MIL thinks this? How does he not know this about his MIL but you do? Why would a grown man react to this observation with anger?

HB

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sounds very tough. I can see my son getting ruffled if he thought there was talk going on behind his back. Unfortunately my grown-ass son gets ruffled easily anyway. With that being said, seems like communication between your son and his wife needs to open up soon or their marriage may also be a casualty of this stinking disease.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more