Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

UTI and weird behavior

gampiano
gampiano Member Posts: 329
Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Last week i posted about my DH exhibiting weird behavior, strange gesticulating while sleeping, delirium, and lethargy. Ed responded and reminded me to check for possible UTI, and sure enough, he has one. Now the VA Doc has put him on a 5 day course of levaquin. I'm a bit scared of the possible side effects, but an untreated UTI can lead to sepsis, so i gave him the first dose tonight with dinner. The pills are huge, so i used the splittter. Hoping this isnt a wild weekend, will report back.

Thanks Ed,

Maureen

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited June 2023

Maureen, I'm glad you found something that might be the cause of his behavior. I think we often are more afraid of side effects than we should be. Yes they happen, but the pros to taking the pills are likely more significant than the cons. I hope the meds have a quick effect for the better. Please keep us updated.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 872
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Urosepsis is really serious and can happen fast; best to treat it and put up with side effects. My mother had UTIs quite often in the later stages of dementia, and they always affected her cognition and caused falls. She tolerated the antibiotics fine. Make sure the clinic cultured the sample to ensure the abx are the correct one for the type of bacteria.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more