Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When conversations creates more confusion

Joydean
Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Yesterday dh and I were talking (well trying, dh has a limited vocabulary) . It started easy enough. Our son had sent a text about the nice cool weather they were enjoying. ( he and his family are on vacation) any way I shared with dh and he asked where they were so I told him. He replied we’ve been there! I was excited ( we were there about 30 years ago). So we “talked” about what we did and why we were there. Then just out of the blue he was so confused about where he was, asking are we in someone’s house, is this a hotel, when are we going home? This lasted the rest of the day and at bedtime he was still confused. This morning he was telling me things that he did during the night! He never got up because I watch him on the camera in his room. Confused still today. What I thought was a good thing turned out to be terrible.

the other thing I have noticed is he just lets his left hand lay in his lap. He doesn’t use it to help hold his drink or anything. He can use it, when I get him dressed I tell him to raise his arms so I can get his tee shirt on or off and he does.

sorry this is so long!

appreciate any and all advice or comments, thank you.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Possible UTI? Might be worth having him checked. Of course this could just be one of those roller coaster rides that make everything so difficult. Sorry you are both dealing with this.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Joydean I have no advice. But my dw has been super confused lately crazy confused.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear Joydean, confusion must be going around. My husband has been more confused lately too. I know how a conversation can start out good and go downhill. That happened to us yesterday. I showed him a nice card one of her granddaughters had sent. Of course he didn’t know who she was and asked to see a picture. The picture just confused him more and he wanted to know who her parents were. When I told him her father was our son, he looked surprised and asked if he had ever met him.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Ditto here. My partner many times now will pick up on random things i say and then they work into her own garbled conversation-sounds like that's kind of what happened with your husband, you were talking about traveling and then all of a sudden he thought he was. It's happening a lot here lately.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Yes, M1. Several times my wife would begin walking toward the bathroom, and I would ask her if she was going to the bathroom. She would reply "No. I'm going to the bathroom". She might have been going to the kitchen.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Joydean, On several recent occasions my wife has become angry, confused when she has a hard time following the dialogue usually because people are talking all at once or too loud or too quietly. She does wear hearing aids and they are of a high quality (expensive). On the television I added the script service but that upsets her because it goes too fast. I have appealed to her PP and we have a neuro-psychological evaluation but that is not until October 31. It seems to me that the only thing that works is to stay home and invite people over a couple at a time. But then she is upset if nobody comes over. I try to keep people coming over (family) and I think I do a pretty good job. I am hoping that the evaluation will lead to medication that can calm her but then I know that she is very resistant to taking any medication. I am at a loss about what to do as I hate to make the decision to keep her in the house. She has nothing to do here except take constant inventory of things and/or look for me. My DW is most active from 11:00 PM TO 3:00 AM and from 9:00 AM to 3:00 pm. Other times she is napping. Her confusion comes after the event that caused her to be upset and when we are leaving, she will insist that we each took our own car or that she lost her purse, earrings or lipstick, sunglasses even though I tell her we didn't bring them. She believes that they were stolen. I believe that this is a no-win situation and is a challenge for me as a people pleaser. 🤗

Dave

• Drapper
    Drapper Member Posts: 79
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

My DH confusion has been greater lately too. So has his anger and pacing. I guess they go together. I have found that giving him bits of information on random events does create more stress. Like today I mentioned our garbage was not picked up ( I likely put out too late ) and it made him confused about where he lives.

he has been on Zoloft about 2 months for anxiety but I don’t think it is doing much, but his confusion has been higher than usual.

I do find that we get out of house in the morning to run errands, take walk , things are better for him. Today we are home as I am waiting for tree trimmer. So can’t go out.

i m pray things settle down for all of us.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more