Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Long journey has ended

ARgirl
ARgirl Member Posts: 20
Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Our long journey into night has ended. My DH passed away after 11 years of early onset AD.

I struggled so terribly with all of this, but was given the following advice: Throw the Alzheimer's disease away, and remember your loved one before the disease. But that is the most difficult thing I have ever done! The disease permeates every part of your life, psyche, physical well being, and destroys your loved one.

But as so many of you have share your experiences as a caregiver. I promised my husband I would embrace life after his leaving. I am glad he is free of this disease. To ensure his legacy, I must embrace life and happiness while a piece of my heart is forever missing. Thanks to all of you for your support. I hope I can continue to share my experiences with those caregivers still struggling and fighting the daily fight against a powerful foe. You are not forgotten....

Comments

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear ARgirl, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear husband. I hope you can find peace and get some rest and eventually be able to remember all the good things before Alzheimer’s. Please be good to your self and know that you did all you could take care of him. Sending lots of love you hugs.

Brenda

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry for your loss but glad this is over for you and him. I don't know you but we are compadres in this journey.

Please make the best of it and do all things you wanted to do for yourself but couldn't for so long.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Argirl I feel your pain and am so sorry for your loss. Your journey will continue, when I read your post I felt that deep loss inside me. prayers for you as you move forward.

Stewart

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Dear Argirl,

Prayers to you and all who loved your DH.

The loss of a loved one does leave a hole in your heart, but hopefully you may find it easier every day to focus on the best memories of your time together.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry. You have a great perspective. May you find peace and happiness again.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I’m so sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your loved ones.

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

ARgirl, I'm about where you are now: My DH died 3 weeks ago at age 74, also after 11+ years of AD. During the later stages of his disease, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to remember anything but the decline and the horror. But as I talk with friends and we share DH stories, I'm finding that it's easier to remember the good years and the good times. I wish the same for you. Peace be with you.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

ARgirl so sorry for your lost. But his pain and suffering is over. Sending prayers for you and your family. I hope soon you can find peace and strength. May God bless you. Hugs sent your way!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sorry for your loss. I wish you peace and the feeling of a very well done job in the coming times. Please consider staying on the forum. You have a lot to share.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Condolences from here as well. Hope you are successful in reclaiming your life. Knowing it's what he wanted for you should help, I imagine. You're doing it for both of you.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

My heartfelt condolences to you. May you find comfort in knowing that you loved and cared for your dear husband. Peace be with you.

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

From Last Dance Dear ARgirl My heartfelt condolences to you. People will tell you that in time the pain goes away but that's not really true the pain will always be with you just some days not as bad as others. The hard part of losing somebody to Alzheimer's is the struggles that we go through to take care of them. Then when they pass we think of the times that we feel like we failed. However, in reality none of us have failed. Taking care of a loved one with Alzheimer's is an on-the-job learning situation. There is no right no wrong way to do it what works for one may not work for the another one. One of the things that I found the most helpful in my grieving process was to talk about my wife, I shared our story with other people, but through the Alzheimer's Association I also shared our story too groups of people, and that really helped me. Yes, there are times when you will think about him the sad memories will overtake you and you want to cry and that's OK. Tears cleanse the eyes, the soul, the body, the spirit, and the mind. Whatever you do, don’t  lock yourself away get out where other  people are even if it's just going to the grocery store, or going to the mall just being around people helps even if you don’t talk to them. Attend a grief counseling session, maybe do some volunteer work, do whatever helps to fill your day, and lessens your pain. God’s Blessings to you. Richard

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Peace to you as you move forward . So sorry for your loss

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 891
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace. Cherish the good memories.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending my deepest condolences for the time many of us both pray for, and dread. You did your best for your DH and now in Stage 8, I pray you are able to prioritize yourself and your recovery as a dementia caregiver, to find peace and eventually joy unimaginable right now. I am sorry for your loss, and join you in being grateful he is free from this disease. I applaud you for seeking the path to happiness as you take all the time you need, to grieve.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m so sorry for the loss of your DH. Enjoyed your post.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. May you find some peace in the days ahead.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Deepest condolences to you. Thank you for sharing your journey. I hope you take comfort that your DH is no longer suffering, and that creates space to remember better times.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sorry for your loss. I hope that peace comes to you and that you remember the good times.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Dear ARgirl,

I am sorry for your loss. May you find peace and happiness going forward. You would want that for him; he would wish that for you. One day at a time.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

ARgirl, I'm so sorry for your loss. This is just a crappy disease, and unfortunately this is the only ending there can be. Hold on to those memories of your DH from before.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more