Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bathroom confusion at night

Abul1999
Abul1999 Member Posts: 7
First Comment

My LO has been in memory care about 2 months. They've started having a hard time finding the bathroom (in their room) at night. We have put up motion sensor light strips on the door and behind the toilet. None of these are helping. They are not incontinent, they know they need to go to the bathroom, but in the middle of the night they can't find it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Waking up every morning cold and wet is obviously very upsetting to them.

Tagged:

Comments

• Teachertee
    Teachertee Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

Would it help to wake them up a few times throughout the night for scheduled bathroom breaks? Speaking as a teacher of a first grader...this is what I've done (assigned breaks each hour) for a student having frequent accidents.

Someone else mentioned having a bed or chair alarm that alerts you when they are out of their bed in another post.

Hoping you can figure out something helpful. Hugs to you.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

There comes a time when PWD can have trouble finding the bathroom, even in homes they've always lived in. It is a precursor to incontinence often along with a loss of toileting skills like flushing, handwashing and wiping.

Nighttime incontinence wear would be appropriate and will likely be suggested by MC. You could also ask that a "dream pee" be added to the overnight routine once or twice when they do their well checks.

HB

• Abul1999
    Abul1999 Member Posts: 7
    First Comment

Thank you guys. I've reached out to the facility and asked that they add the "dream pee". We are also moving to adult diapers as night to prepare for the future. Both great suggestions. Thank you. Sometimes the fog gets so thick that I forget the easy things.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more