Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

OT: About refunds for OTC hearing aids

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm posting a link about that, but I did get OTC hearing aids from Costco, with a 180 day money back guarantee. My hearing is not terrible, but I have trouble with high frequencies, and at times understanding women speaking. Also hearing in crowds is not good.

I had the initial settings put on my hearing aids, but they didn't do what I needed. Two more times I went back to have them tweaked, but I was not satisfied. After probably 4 or more months I decided to return them. I've always heard that Costco had a great return policy, and there was no problem getting all of my money refunded. But I guess some other places are not easy at all to get a refund. Follow the link: https://www.abc15.com/news/let-joe-know/refund-policy-put-to-the-test-for-otc-hearing-aids

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I found Costco's customer service around hearing aids terrific but if you're having a hard time adapting a private audiologist might be a better option for you.

True story-- about 3 months before dad went into MC, we took him to Costco for new hearing aids. They were great with him and he loved his new ones. He was only in MC for 7 weeks before he died, so they were still in the 180 day window. He'd lost one, but they did a full refund on the one mom brought back to the store.

HB

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I actually went to an audiologist before going to Costco. But the price of hearing aids was more than I can really afford. And 95% of the time or more, I don't have a problem.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited June 2023

So glad that your experience with CostCo's return went well. We often buy many different items at CostCo and have always been served well with anything needing to be returned. Their policies are exemplary.

As for the hearing aids - for anyone reading this that may be unfamiliar with the difference between an Audiologist and a Hearing Aid Dispenser, here is an outline regarding their level of education. While each is licensed, they are very different licenses.

https://thehearingcentermcc.com/patient-resources/industry-news/what-is-the-difference-between-an-audiologist-and-a-hearing-aid-dispenser/#:~:text=What%20Do%20They%20Have%20in,sell%20and%20fit%20listening%20devices.

There is a huge difference between hearing aids. What works for a person with one type may not work for another; hearing and hearing loss is complex, so an adequate assessment, choice of type of aid and fit is highly important for a good outcome. Learned this from one of our PVs who has since retired as a PV who is an Audiologist. Sure do miss her, she is excellent. Would love to see her come back and do an educational Post on this topic.

My understanding is that some CostCos have Hearing Aid Dispensers and others may have an Audiologist. CostCo's standards over the years has been fairly high and that includes returns.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney