Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New here

Hi, I’m new here. My 38 year old husband was just diagnosed with mild dementia and I am looking for support. He has MS which led to the cognitive decline. I’m heartbroken.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sherno, welcome to the forum. That is very young to be diagnosed, and I'm very sorry, Even with his age, you should consult with a certified elder law attorney (CELA). They can protect a lot of assets, draw up legal papers you will need, including POA and more. They will explain how medicaid works in your state. The first consult might be free of charge, and you can verify that when making an appointment. If the first one you call is not free for the first consult, try another.

We have a lot of people here, willing to help and share their experiences. So post about whatever is on your mind, and you will get help and understanding.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sherno, so sorry that you have this situation, but you have found a good place to find help and support.

You will also need to explore how this will impact his employment and what benefits are/will be available. The attorney can advise you on SS disability and advise you if/when to make his employer aware of the situation.

It would also be good to ask his doctor for advise on what you can expect for our DH's care so that you can be prepared with care plans.

Wishing you both the best possible.

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Sherno, welcome to the forums. A friend recently learned that due to many years of cancer treatment, her husband has developed mild cognitive impairment. She wasn't expecting it and it has really thrown her; she thought she was coping ok with cancer but wasn't prepared to add (presumed) dementia to the plate. She says a good therapist is extremely valuable! And she has done a lot of reading about dementia, to learn about how his mind is working these days and how she can quietly arrange their lives so he can do the things he loves... safely... sort of.

I hope we can help you navigate this new development.

• sherno87
    sherno87 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Thank you all.. he is already on SSDI for his MS. I saw the signs of the major neurocognitive disease but didn’t expect it to be official so soon. I want to meet with a lawyer to have the future medical wants and needs put into place. Right now he gets a HHCA 3 days a week but the doctor said he should get more now with this diagnosis. Hoping. It’s very difficult managing his daily life and my own (obviously we share our lives) when he is so forgetful and confused, and slow to comprehend.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Sherno, welcome to the forum. I’m sorry to be here. Everyone here is very supportive and will help you or they can. Ask lots of questions. Read lots of posts. And know that you’re not alone. Sending hugs.

• CorrieG
    CorrieG Member Posts: 46
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi Sherno,

I'm new too and happy to meet you! Getting a lawyer and all of our documentation together has been challenging but it is a huge relief. I hope you can find the support you need here and I'm so sorry you have to deal with this!

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Sherno- welcome and sorry you and your husband are dealing with this. It's a lot, especially on top of other health issues. I think you'll find some great support here. I know I have.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome sherno. People with MS can develop cognitive impairment that is related to the MS. Although still serious, the stages may differ in various ways from the stages of Alzheimer's Disease. Also, the medications used may be different.

Iris

• sherno87
    sherno87 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

yes, unfortunately he has developed more than the MS

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 891
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome. So sorry about the MS & Cognitive diagnoses so young. You are at the right place. This group has helped me so much. The National MS Society has lots of resources for caregivers caring for MS patients with cognitive issues. I would also stay on this forum. Never hurts to have more info & support. https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Resources-Support

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more