Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My frustration, confusion and sadness

I rarely comment, but read posts often. 6-7 years ago my DH was diagnosed with possible MCI which was inconclusive. I can tell you, he will never go through testing again. He’s very aware of his memory and confusion. He says he “feels perpetually confused.” Dementia is rampant in his family. Mother, aunts, two brothers, grandfather. He has been almost in the same place for years (feeling foggy). In the past year though, he and I have both noticed a change. He feels it, I see it. I dislike looking at stages because they all blur over each other. It isn’t linear. What signs we see as a spouse and the person experiencing his thought processes not working correctly, is noticed long before not being able to drive or losing words. I cannot get the medical profession to recognize what I see and what he feels, so we just charter our own path. Thanks to all of you who post on here, I have learned to be tolerant and understanding. The short term memory is really affecting him as well as electronics (how does the remote work?). He needs me more and more for everything. I run the show around here, financial, emotional and everything pertaining to owning a home. I’m it. I shadow him. He still can carry on a conversation and his humor and wit are in tact. His ability to comprehend is shrinking. I’m in the process of getting a durable power of attorney. He agrees we need to get it done. When myself or him speak to friends or family about his failing mind, we are dismissed. It’s well meaning, I know. But I want one person to ask me a question, because I have been on a roller coaster for years questioning whether he has it or not. He would go through periods of complete clarity and then losing it. Now it’s become more commonly consistent. He’s 79, I’m 66. I’m sad, I’m overwhelmed (sometimes) but I’m driven to do everything to make his quality of life good. I really just needed to vent tonight because I so want to see my aging mother, grandchildren and children, but we live 7 hours away from everyone. In other words, feeling sorry for myself. It doesn’t happen often, I’m a strong person, but tonight it hit me. Thanks for any of you who took the time to read this.

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

thank you for both comments, I appreciate the response. Not quite sure how to use this site yet. My husbands stress level increases so much when I mention going somewhere outside of where we live. Driving two hours is too much. SdianeL, we have a lot of similarities. My DH isn’t quite as advanced, but he does so much of what you describe. Like you, some days I do need to regroup. I do this by taking a walk on the beach or spending some time with my horse. My DH rarely gets mad. He does laugh a lot, but tends to focus negatively on various things. It’s a crappy journey we are on.

denise1847, thank you for your suggestions. I do feel we have a good doctor. My DH is quite adept at laughing and joking and covering up his confusion. I answer most questions for him and he just laughs and says I’m his memory.

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Dear Trottingalong,

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. It is a difficult road to be on.

Like you, I tried for a few years to get our long time PCP to do something about what I was seeing with my husband's mental confusion. It went nowhere until one day we were in the office and my husband could not carry on a conversation with the doctor. The shocked doctor gave us a referral to the university for testing.

A few weeks later, we had our 2-hour long appointment with a diagnosis of Alzheimer's. We followed up with a brain MRI and some other tests.

If you have a university fairly close, that specializes in Alzheimer's, it would, it might be worth your time to go there for testing. You will probably need a referral from your primary care doctor.

I remember after the testing was over and we went to the cafeteria for lunch, I cried. It was now a reality, where before it was my thoughts and concerns.

As you move through this maze of uncertainty, would it be possible to move closer to your family?

I know moves are difficult for those with Alzheimer's and dementia, but if your family is close and able to be there for you, it might help.

Please take care.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 2023

The journey is overwhelming at worst ....hard at best.

This group knows what it is like and is always here !!!!

-Judith

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 2023

Trottingalong - My heart goes out to you. This disease is brutal for both patients and caregivers. A few weeks ago a friend said to me, "he's not as bad as I expected" as if I have been exaggerating. I wanted to explain cognitive reserve and showtiming as if I had to defend my opinion. I wanted to cry and tell her about the hours of being yelled at for taking away driving privileges and generally ruining his life. I wanted to explain the panic when the useless neuro said that she couldn't help him if he doesn't want treatment. I wanted to say "tell me how bad it is when it's your husband." But I smiled and said, "he's having a good day."

We all do the best we can to make it as good as possible for our partners. You're doing great.

• trottingalong

Jeanne C. That made me sad for you. I often feel myself that I’m the one exaggerating because he’s good at covering when he sees someone for a short time. He lost our dog today, found her, brought her home, left the house and thought he lost her again. I was 15 minutes away when he called and said he had lost her. My biggest fear to date. Thank goodness she is home safe and we were able to talk about it. Take care.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

trottingalong - thanks but I'm OK. I was just trying to show how people really don't get it, even the medical professionals, because they only see a snapshot of what we see. I may have gotten a little emotional in making the point 🙄. That same friend was over today and my DH was all over the place: emotional, losing words, confused, anxious. As she left she said, "I didn't know." I don't want sympathy or even help from her (just the chance to catch up with a friend and feel normal for a bit), but I selfishly felt a little vindicated.

I'm glad you have your dog home safe.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • trottingalong

Victoria2020. We did the living trust a few years ago and I’ve always been the financial person during our marriage. I will be calling the attorney tomorrow to get an appt. For the POA.

Jeanne C. I had to snicker when you said you felt vindicated. I can completely understand that and relate to it.

nancyj194. We live in a remote area of Northern California, 7+ hours away from Portland, where he already went through extensive testing 6-7 years ago. We won’t go for more testing. We are both well aware of what he has, I cared for his mother during her journey. At this time we would not choose to live closer to either child. This is our wonderful dream home. It’s our peace. He would not handle a move at this point in time, this is where he wants to be. To be honest I would not either. Thank goodness for technology where we can chat via video.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Man oh man. This all strikes home so closely. We have all the right papers signed, but when we signed them all, it was with the assumption he would end his final days with a physical terminal disease ( heart failure, return of prostate cancer, diabetes, etc) that would allow us to be partners through most of it. Not dementia.

We are only a short time into this journey, but today, among other heartbreaking things, he asked if my brothers and SILs had ever seen or been in our home that we have lived in together for over 23 years. Seems to be diminishing before my eyes. But at least the drs seem to have moved from MCI to mild dementia. Mild dementia only seems to be a euphemism for " it ain't as bad as it's going to get".

When talking with people with whom I don't want to bare my soul, I generally say:

With this set of diseases, you never know who is coming to the party.

Sorry, got a little carried away tonight, we just got the assumption of mild dementia on Friday after trying to rally health care to our assistance since last fall. and started arecept today. I am 72. He is 75. We are life partners not married folk. Will share more, but my bones are weary and my heart is sick tonight.

• RCT
    RCT Member Posts: 54
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

trottingalong….I can soooo relate to you…my husband got diagnosed in 2018 and he is 81..I am 67….we stopped RVing in 2019 and since then I have been “it”. It has taken time for me to make so many adjustments. Most people see a snapshot and I see the whole picture. It can be challenging for sure. Ed too has his humor and wit but short term memory is gone and comprehension is diminishing. We are all human and doing the best we can…be kind to yourself! Caregiving can be frustrating and rewarding all in the same day! We are here for you! Blessings

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 128
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I can relate to so many of the comments here and am sorry we are all going through this. My DH is 75, I am 65. We have no children and no immediate family close by. Our world is getting smaller as I have a hard time leaving him alone since he forgets where I am and gets upset or angry. He comes with me everywhere. I try so hard to come up with things to do to fill up the days since he can't do much. Can't work the remote so I have to set up movies, etc. for him. I have felt all the emotions others have mentioned and have tried so very hard to become the strong person I need to be - I need to stop getting irritated and using the wrong tone of voice. I am not happy with how I've been handling this but I'm getting better day by day. Reading these posts is helping tremendously! Thank you all for your candid discussions.

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Annie, Everything you said is exactly how it is in my world. Since I know how tragic the progression of this disease can be, I just take the wins when I can. Everyday is a learning experience and you will continue to get better at this.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 128
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Thanks PookieBlue for the encouragement and my thoughts are with you all as well. So happy to have found this forum!

• Sailor girl
    Sailor girl Member Posts: 5
    Sixth Anniversary First Comment

Dear Trottingalong,

Your story brings back so much pain and also courage from my journey. My Husband was 14 years older, and it was never an issue...until the wicked disease started taking him away.

If there was any good news to our age gap, I was young enough to handle most of the situations.

From my experience, however, I just want to encourage others to find help long before they think they need it!

I took a vastly unique path, and recently returned to this group. I posted under "Returning to share information." I think we all would do just about anything imaginable to find a place and people that will make life better for both the person with dementia and the caregiver.

You are not alone.

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear Trottingalong,

We're bit behind you, but every day brings us closer.

Fortunately I was able talk with him about medications that he needs a neurologist to prescribe. He asked his PCP for a referral. He has an appointment in November with a neurologist who is part of large memory clinic at Duke University Medical Center.

His PCP also ordered: CT BRAIN WITHOUT CONTRAST, right away. The scan showed: Global volume loss without lobar predominance. My DH 's brain is getting smaller! And the scan also showed chronic small vessel ischemic disease, There are mini-strokes throughout his brain,

So this is real and progressive. This is validation of my observance and assessment of him and my knowledge of his serious family history of Vascular Disease.

None of this makes day to day life easier however. More and more he acknowledges that he doesn't remember stuff. I get so frustrated coordinating most of his activities. We live in independent living in a retirement community so all of this is a bit easier.

AND I have a progressive neurological condition, cannot walk, need help dressing, use a power chair. My DH is MY CARETAKER. I won't be able to help HIM when he needs help. We will both have to move to assisted living. But the day to day unfolding of our lives is a huge challenge.

I know there are so many who are dealing with the tragedy of dementia in a family member. I cling to every word written by those who share. The details, the coping strategies, and the sorrow.

Tomorrow is our 61st wedding anniversary. We have shared a wonderful life. Most of it he doesn't really remember, alas.

I will lose the one person who knows everything about me, who has been my love and my comfort. And I'm already losing him.

Love and strength, Elaine

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Showtiming is a real thing. That "adept at laughing and joking and covering up" real problems. Yep. My DH was "overcompensating" for a long time, is how his diagnosing physician described it. It is a natural human thing. We all do it. Put our best foot forward especially with strangers, definitely if being tested or evaluated. We "perform" to the best of our ability including faking it 'til we make it. Covering for ourselves (and sometimes others) without even giving it a second thought. Heck, society even teaches us to do that, right?

It's just that with dementias it seems to contribute to a lot of denial for those who can't or won't see -- and even refusal for some in the med community to properly diagnose and to believe caregivers sooner. So it may be intended to protect undiagnosed PWDs rights and independence, but my DH suffered longer than he needed to and we ended up with lots of harm being done (to both of us, financially etc.) because a. there is not nearly enough education and awareness of the real signs of potential dementia and b., he had high cognitive reserves and social skills, so others tend to see what they want to see. Some didn't see anything wrong. Others perceived more than they let on about him being compromised, and took advantage.

I hope your journey is less rocky than some. We are here to help each other, and it really is a blessing.

• Smilescountry
    Smilescountry Member Posts: 108
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

You are right. This is a difficult journey, and it is hard when not everyone sees the changes. It is my dad who has Alzheimer's, but my mother also has mild cognitive decline that is beginning to progress. I am glad that you are taking care of legal things. My parents did that 23 years ago with a very reputable attorney and for that I am glad. However, one of my sisters passed away a year ago, and my parents left another sister off the POA list because she was living out of state at the time. When we went back to get things updated, Dad was not competent to agree to any changes, so I am his POA and HCR. If something happens to me, my sister who was on the original list is. My mother was the first in line, but the doctor said that she should not be making major financial or medical decisions at this time. One of the best things that I did was to get a letter from the doctor for each of my parents stating that they could no longer make their own decisions. I have it stored digitally on my computer and share it whenever I have to use the information from the 23-year-old POA and HCR forms. The attorney was able to write a new will for Mom, and we got around some other difficult areas by making sure that all their finances had the beneficiaries properly listed. For Mom, all three of us sisters are equal, but separate POAs and HCRs. For Social Security purposes and for some other purposes, I am the sole POA (Representative Payee) unless something should happen to me, but now we have a plan in place, which is important. One of my sons said to my husband and me the other day, "Are you learning from this and organizing your own affairs?" I had, but not completely. Now, I try to organize a bit every day. What I do for my parents I try to do for my husband and myself so that my children will not have to go through so much. With all the other difficult things going on with my parents, I am so glad that the legal and financial parts are now settled!

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

True, there is not nearly enough education and awareness of the real signs of potential dementia. A professional who is knowledgeable about dementia should be able to assess beneath what is unpleasantly called showtiming.

Iris

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Belated happy anniversary Elaine. Butterfly Wings, i am so glad you are back, i have missed your thoughtful input. Appreciate everyone here, it does help to know we are not going through this alone. Hang in there everyone....

• serenity62
    serenity62 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I feel like I have unlocked hidden treasure tonight. Thank you all for your honest, familiar stories! I just retired at age 62 to take care of my 67 y/o husband, "officially" diagnosed with ALZ just 7 months ago. Had cognitive, social and emotional changes for about 4 years prior + increased alcohol use, (should have been another clue but missed it). He remained highly functional despite it all so I kept living in my bubble of denial. Now the rubber has met the road and I feel so sad, angry and terrified. I don't know diddly about the lawn, the snowblower or fixing things that break. One of our sons helps us out but gets very frustrated with his dad. I am often defending the very person that I just got short with for pushing the wrong buttons on the remote again or for standing in the middle of the kitchen when I am trying to cook. It's so hard some days just to keep my sanity, let alone my serenity, but I want to try to figure this out better so I don't self-destruct. Already losing too much sleep. Thank you again. Your stories give me hope and make me feel like I'm not alone on this island.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more