Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bringing LO home

My LO was diagnosed with ALZ in 2019 and is in decline (early stage 7). She has been in a MC facility. Unfortunately, I am running out of money and am bringing her home to live with me in a new apartment. It was either home or a Medicaid facility.

In either case, the change will be traumatic for her. The hospice I love is following us to our new home, which is a blessing.

How can I help my LO adjust to her new environment/home?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Satchbee, I'm sorry you're facing this dilemma. I don't have any particular suggestions; I guess in a best case scenario if she has familiar faces, maybe it won't make a difference. Which is kind of sad.

I just responded because what you are doing plays into a fantasy of mine. My partner begs to come home and be with me--although she no longer remembers our farm. I have fantasies of bringing her home at hospice stage--as if it would matter at that point, I keep thinking it might make her happy. I fully acknowledge that it's a fantasy though. The constant begging to come home and be with me is pretty hard to listen to, especially when there is no way for me to respond except with fiblets.

I hope it goes well for both of you. I can remember at least one other poster (no longer on the boards) who brought her EOAD husband home from memory care when he was bedbound, and she thought he was happy to die at home. It wasn't going to a new apartment though, hard to know if that will make a difference.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sorry you find yourself in this situation.

Routine is important. You should try to keep with what has been established at the facility...getting up, meal times, personal care, bedtime and of course meds.

It might also help to have any of her personal times (if any) from the facility put into the new apartment in similar locations.

You are definitely going to need some help above and beyond the Hospice folks since she will need 24/7 care. If you can't get care folks to watch her, you may want to try folks who can help you with things like errands to stores, etc.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more