Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is this Aphasia?

Gthoma
Gthoma Member Posts: 33
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm a little confused about Aphasia. When I make a statement or ask a question and DWs reply is totally off topic, is that Aphasia? Like this: Me: "I got us some more Strawberries." DW: "That's because I'm not very tall." Speech is clear as a bell just makes no sense.

Thanks.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Gthoma. I think the technical term for this is paraphasia, or the phrase "Wernicke's aphasia" also comes to mind--the Wernicke's area of the temporal lobe being the part that controls word choice. I'm really reaching here and would have to look it up...but yes, it is a form of aphasia. You can see various forms of this with strokes as well as dementia, it just depends on what parts of the temporal lobe are affected.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

This is an example of fluent aphasia. Can she still read and write?

• Gthoma
    Gthoma Member Posts: 33
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes. Reads and writes but with little understanding.

• DJnAZ
    DJnAZ Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

The Mayo Clinic has a good explanation of aphasia in general and the various types of aphasia:

My wife has Primary Progressive Aphasia (PPA), or global aphasia, a very debilitating type, and understands very little of what she hears and only speaks in 3-4 word sentences. Her sentences almost always end with the word "terrible". For example, when she sees me (she is in a MC facility) she will smile and say..."Oh, we can terrible". Or, "lets go terrible". I believe she is really trying to communicate but simply repeats the same short sentences over and over.

Northwestern University also has an explanation of aphasia:

https://www.brain.northwestern.edu/pdfs/Disease%20Summaries/ppa.pdf

Your wife should be evaluated by a neurologist who can be more specific about her condition.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more