Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Getting a signature stamp

gampiano
gampiano Member Posts: 329
Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My DH can barely write, or sign his name. We recently signed some legal docs, and they would even accept an "x". Someone suggested getting a signature stamp while he still can write . Has any one done this? I was told that these are acceptable for banking and other purposes.

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I was in banking for 30 years + I have never heard of any ‘stamp’ that would be valid/accepted on any legal document. You should have a DPOA which should allow you to sign for him.

• gampiano

Hi terei,

Thanks, I do have a DPOA. This was actually suggested to me by a bank employee, but probably to be used by my DH when he is present.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 891
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

If you have a DPOA he does not have to be present you can sign on his behalf. Any document. I rented an apartment, sold our RV & bought a new car using the DPOA. "The proper way to sign as an agent is to first sign the principal's full legal name, then write the word "by," and then sign your name. You may also want to show that you are signing as an agent by writing after the signature: POA or DPOA." I signed his name, my name with DPOA right after. Give the bank or company a copy of the DPOA to keep on file. My DH can no longer sign his name or understand what he's signing.

• gampiano

Thank you , SDianeL, for those very clear instructions .

Maureen

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney