Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anosognosia

vjw
vjw Member Posts: 13
5 Care Reactions First Comment First Anniversary

My husband is in Moderate stage Alzheimer's. 4/5.

He totally rejects his diagnosis. His short term memory is gone and his long-term memory is going.

On a side note, he is also hard of hearing and was tested and fitted for hearing aide. Getting him to wear them is a struggle because he insists he hears just fine. I spend my days not only repeating because he can't remember, but re-repeating because he can't hear.

Back to memory, He does acknowledge his short term memory is gone but his reasoning for his memory loss is that his brain is too full and can't take on any more information. He even tells the doctor this.

He can still bathe and clothe himself and carry on discussion though limited.

I want to get him into a place, for a few hours a day, maybe once a week starting out, so he can socialize and I can have a few hours to myself.

How do I convince him to do this when he won't even acknowledge he has a problem and will tell me he will be fine staying home.

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 891
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

MY DH has vascular dementia Stage 4/5 and same thing. He's in denial. He was diagnosed 2 years ago and recently said "I don't have dementia do I?" I said yes, honey you do. He was shocked and devastated. He is also functioning but declining more quickly the last few months. I got caregiver support through the VA. They scheduled respite care one afternoon a week. He didn't want her here at first but I said I needed to go do my doctor appointments and couldn't leave him alone and that I was exhausted and needed a break. He finally agreed. He complains after every caregiver visit but hasn't said stop it. So I'll take it. Maybe ask the doctor to "prescribe" it as a benefit for people with full brains? That's how I got my DH to stop driving. I told him the doctor said so because we could be sued. Sometimes they will listen to others and not you their primary caregiver. From the ALZ website: "Sometimes it helps to have the person's physician or clergy or family friend talk with them about the merits of attending. Look for a hook. Arrange for the person to visit the center when there is an activity scheduled that they might enjoy or even try out on the spot." Also found this: https://www.nextavenue.org/how-to-convince-a-parent-to-attend-an-adult-day-center/

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more