Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Fireworks, post full moon craziness?

Well the nhf did a fireworks show for the residents last night, I know of a few from the mc side that watched it, but one residents kept talking about all that noise said she was scared she said she never heard such a commotion. This morning the behaviors are off the wall like I have never seen.

I didn't attend as I know what kind of behaviors I would have had to deal with at that time of night, the kind that just put a hole in my chest that doesn't go away.

My dw has been saying lately she hasn't signed any papers and wants to know how much longer is she gonna have to do this. This morning she is having thoughts of suicide.

This seems to be building up for the last week or two.

Just my observations. I hope everyone else isn't seeing the same thing.

Stewart

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Stewart, my partner tells me all the time that she is "over this," that her back is better, that she wants to leave with me today. It's very hard to have to keep repeating the same answers over and over. The latest is that she wants to design a little house for both of us and find something "not in town" where we can both live. Breaks me heart. I tell her to go for it, as she can at least play with designing something. Dont' think she actually will, but it's hard. No fireworks at our facility.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

M1 that's good that you can find ways to engage and give some hope and future for your dw, even though we know better. Yes the same answers over and over but I am glad they don't get old for dw. Yesterday it was, "when did you get here?" I just kept saying a few minutes ago. 4 times in 5 minutes.

The fireworks was the First Annual, I will be listening to see how it went. I haven't talked to anyone who was present. The charge nurse was there last night and just walked in.

Gotta ask her about a possible med change.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,014
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Maybe it’s just me, but fireworks at this type of facility sounds like it would be frightening for anyone with dementia. Too noisy and startling and not something many people might remember from prior times. Or the sound might bring up unpleasant memories from the past. We turned the TV up the past few nights and turned on music after going to bed to block out any sounds of fireworks in the area.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Toolbeltexpert,

I don't know what meds your DW might be on. For my DW she was prescribed an anti seizure medication a while back which had a known side effect of suicidal thoughts. My DW, who has always been positive, upbeat, and full of humor, had many negative thoughts and statements within days of starting this medication, although not quite suicidal. With her neurologist's agreement we stopped this medication after one week and she was quickly back to her "normal" self (relatively speaking of course).

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Stewart, I have no advice or experience to share relative to thoughts of suicide but I am sorry you have to deal with this on top of everything else. I think asking about a medication is a good idea though. I cannot believe someone thought a fireworks display was a reasonable activity for PWD. The last time I took DW to a fireworks display she was stage 3 or maybe 4, she was frightened even though she previously loved fireworks displays.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 2023

I also don't see the benefit of fireworks much less so for a dementia patient. This year was soooo loud but never bothered my DW. My dog on the other hand was freaking out as she does twice a year.

As far as suicide both my mom and my wife have expressed those thoughts. Our PCP put my DW on amitriptyline for fibromyalgia and to help her sleep. The neurologist put her on mementine and said to take her off the amitriptyline as it will make things worse. Her PCP wasn't concerned about the combination but when my DW started becoming aggressive, screaming and yelling, talking more about death I decided to take her off the amitriptyline. About a week later she calmed down considerably. Still moments but not as extreme. Hoping those extremes don't return as I was seriously considering MC for her.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm with Maggie Mae. Fireworks and dementia seem to go together like oil and water. Maybe you could make a suggestion that they rethink how they want to have a celebration in a way that the residents could join while keeping the noise to a minimum. I don't know if anything like this screenshot is available anymore, but it seems like it might work for the residents. Or maybe not. Could that be somehow dangerous?

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 2023

Weighing in on the fireworks when PWD are part of the population: all I can think of is inconsiderate, and or just oblivious. And it might be startling or disturbing even for those without dementia. I know DH has trouble identifying sounds (I forget which of the 7As that is). But it means he is constantly getting delusional triggers that have to be redirected, if the noise is really loud especially.

Traffic noises, storms, even loud TV or phone alerts -- pretty much any sound especially if loud and startling is going to make him want to jump up and see what is happening -- he's not the scared type, but his protective instincts never fail to kick in. So I am trying to redirect this man who is a fall risk, from jumping and running toward the noise (staggering, leaning, wobbling with me trying to steady him). Which is the fight or flight response. For those who are fearful and can't run away or avoid the noise, they still have the physical response of heart racing and may cause confusion of what is attacking them or the like. What if they are a combat vet or lived through some catastrophic weather event even? That isn't the calm, quiet routine folks pay all that MC money for! But really, I just don't like that PWDs in this case seem not to be considered. Do no harm. Why risk it?

It just seems like someone didn't think it through, didn't care, or maybe is dismissive and feels like oh well, they won't remember anyway -- but we know that PWDs often retain the emotional response even if they can't recall the actual event that triggered it. I know DH asked me over and over, "what was that!?" startled at the fireworks even though he is not afraid (of anything!). But he definitely had anxiety and confusion as a result of the constant explosions seemed like for a couple of hours. And it kept us up way past our preferred bedtime so this exhausted caregiver could have done without the gratuitous noise (on multiple days), too. I am all for celebrating special occasions, but this seems like it shouldn't become an MC tradition.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

While the average well meaning person just don't seem to grasp the possible adverse effects on a PWD, why would an MCF full of experts on dementia decide it was a good idea to have fireworks? Just sad.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,014
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I know a few people, formerly in the military that experience PTSD symptoms at the sound and display of fireworks. They stay away from these types of celebrations. And they don’t even have dementia. What was the MCF thinking?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more