Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH has UTI

Drapper
Drapper Member Posts: 79
Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

My husbands confusion has recently been getting worst. Based on a few things I read here I had him tested for a UTI and he had one. He was on antibiotics for four days and then he started getting a fever of 101.5 this morning. So I took him to the ER and they felt the antibiotics weren’t working and they ended up admitting him to the hospital and I giving him intravenous anti-biotics and also testing him to make sure it hasn’t spread any place else. He’s very nervous about being in the hospital and being away from home. Security had to be called when I wasn’t there when he woke up from a nap. This is all is making me feel very guilty for leaving him there today. I hope he is okay during the evening. But on the other hand, he’s getting the help that he needs. I actually really miss him tonight.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Sorry you're both dealing with this. As you said, he's getting the care he needs. Hang in there.

• clndaniels
    clndaniels Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary

My DHWD had to be admitted for a UTI in May from his MC. They were able to get it under control with intravenous antibiotics, but it took 5 days in the hospital and continued oral after that. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between normal dementia confusion and that caused by infection.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Being in the hospital and away from their caregiver is hard for PWD. Is there any way you can stay with him?

HB

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh goodness. I'm certain he's nervous being in a different place and you weren't right there - that really upset him. Would it be possible for you to stay with him? Sleeping in those hospital chairs certainly isn't ideal, but sometimes that's what it takes. Of course, the hospital might not have wanted you to stay.

When my DH had a hospital stay I know the first night there was no way I could have left him. I needed to understand the testing, etc and be there for him. The next day when things were calmer I came home for a shower & power nap then went back. Much later in the evening I felt comfortable leaving him for the night and did so.

Let us know what happens.

eagle

• Drapper

Unfortunately the hospital did not want me to stay. I did offer to. They did have a nurse assistant in the room with him when I was not there. So he was never alone

The good news is that the dr feels he can go home tonight. They are giving him another round of IV antibiotics now. Also want to give him a brain MRI first.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,014
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited July 2023

After the first time my husband was in the hospital and pulled out IV’s and tried his best to escape, I’ve stayed at the hospital with him. He’s relatively calm with me there but panicked when I’m not. Even in a bed with an alarm, he constantly sets it off if I try to go to the cafeteria. The last time he was in for 5 days, I ate primarily from the vending machine down the hall because it only took a couple minutes to run down there. The hospital supplied me with a recliner and blankets. I think most hospitals are short staffed these days and don’t have the time to deal with patients trying to pull out IV’s or constantly setting off alarms. He was calm with me there, even though he isn’t very talkative anymore. He told me, “ Stay where I can see you.” When he woke up in the morning I was there, dozing in the recliner. When he had to go for a scan, I followed along as far as they would let me go, the reassured him I was right outside the door.

It made their job easier to not have to worry about restraining him. They were happy to have me there.

Drapper, you did the right thing by taking him to ER when he still had the fever after 4 days. There are apparently different strains of bacteria that cause UTI’s and the antibiotic he was taking didn’t seem to be helping. They’ll find the correct one. Hang in there. UTI’s cause so many problems for people with dementia.

• Drapper

Thank you everybody for your support and advice. My husband is home now and starting to get back to his pre UTI baseline.

Although I was so very nervous about him staying overnight by himself, for the one evening, I think he came out of it feeling a bit independent. Having a nurse asst in the room all evening helped.

he actually said goodbye at nurses station. And said thank you and he had a nice time.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more