Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Clinical Trials

I've never posted before so I'm not sure how many times this has been talked about. My husband with YOAD participated in a clinical trial through Rush University's Memory Care Center. We both acknowledged that he would probably never benefit in the long run, he felt very strongly about participating. His lasted for a little over three years (Covid held things up) and went once every four weeks for testing and infusions. While I don't think the drug did anything for him, I had no way of knowing if the disease progression was slowed by it. This disease sure works on it's own timeline. I would strongly recommend participating in a clinical trial if one is available near you. A cure or effective treatment will never be found unless participation in trials continue. While I don't think my husband would be eligible for a new trial given how far into the disease he is, Rush has said they will contact us if something comes up. There was no cost to us for the testing and drugs. We even got rides to and from the medical center.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thanks to both of you. Yes, it is needed.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes good for you heartbroken. My partner and I talked about trials several times and there is a research center near us, but as she progressed she couldn't muster the wherewithal to do it. too many other health problems, for one thing, probably would have disqualified her from a lot of the potential trials. I'm very glad you all did it though.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more