Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Leqembi Concerns

I have read the posts on "The Problem with Leqembi" and recognize that it's no silver bullet. However, my DH with ES read in the newspaper about its FDA approval and wants to try it. He asked me to make an appointment with his neurologist next week. Background: DH is 84 this month. He was first evaluated in 2018 and received a diagnosis of MCI. That was changed to ES about 1 1/2 yrs. ago. His most recent thorough testing was late January, and he still tested ES--scores on some things up & some down--though he was having a good day.

In March, he participated in a REPHRASE study, which is seeking to determine if Alzheimer's can be detected by an image of the retina. As part of the study, he received a PET scan and MRI of his head to detect the presence of amyloid plaques. Three radiologists determined that he did have amyloid plaques and gave the diagnosis of Alzheimer's. Following this, we met with a neurologist at the medical school who told us he would probably qualify for a research study using Aducanumab. However, he would have a 35% chance of receiving a placebo. He was also at the top end of the age for being in the study. To insure receiving a drug instead of a placebo, the cost would be $27,000. Since my DH was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and was prescribed bp medicine plus baby aspirin, I asked if that might make him more to prone to brain bleeds. I was told it wouldn't, but I'm skeptical of that answer. After reviewing the potential risks, we decided against seeking to be in that study.

However, now Leqembi is approved by Medicare. My DH is already in a registry through the Medical School and does have amyloid plaque in his brain. There are safety concerns with Leqembi, and the benefits are questionable. So, I'm trying to decide whether I should encourage him. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

And, I am so thankful for this discussion board. The first-hand knowledge shared is so helpful, and the compassion shown is awesome.

Comments

• mrspgee
    mrspgee Member Posts: 8
    Third Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment

Hello Cavenson, my LO has a similar set of circumstances. He was scheduled to start the Leqembi infusions in mid-Sept. He wants the treatment and it was all set to start. The more I read and listened to opinions, the more uncomfortable I felt with the decision. We are scheduled to meet with his neurologist in three weeks. He has been approved for the infusions after the required PET, blood, MOCA tests, etc. I am making the decision for him since he doesn't understand most of what is explained to him and I am very distressed about making the wrong decision for him. I also know that there is no silver bullet, no clear answers, everyone is different in the trajectory of the disease. There are no easy answers. I suspect that after our meeting with the doctor we will reschedule the treatment. Maybe that's buying time until the next best becomes available. How much time are we buying? The amyloid plaque will eventually continue to spread. I'd like to understand how much time we are buying. As you know, there will be at least seven months of infusions, every two weeks in addition to numerous PET scans and blood work along the way. I don't want to have him spend seven months going through a grueling treatment when the benefit may be very short lived. Then, there are the side effects. Of course, these are questions I will address with his neurologist again. Any thoughts you may want to share will be really appreciated. I'm dealing with everything at home and the decision is mostly my own. His three adult children have no interest in becoming involved. At this point it may be a good thing. I am 76, he is 81. We have been married for 34 years. He was given the diagnosis of MCI six years ago. I feel your pain.

My best to you and your husband.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney