Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Guardianship

anita26
anita26 Member Posts: 3
Fifth Anniversary First Comment

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this? Is it hard to qualify? I’m worried my mom will decide she doesn’t want caregivers and we will just go in circles constantly. I can’t keep doing this. We are touring an assisted living facility tomorrow and I’m sure she will say no. It’s also expensive and I’ve reached out to family again as kind of a last resort. I am sure they won’t help. But I’m hoping I can get assistance from Medicaid once her money runs out. Hoping I can get more info tomorrow on if they even accept Medicaid. I am so exhausted. 😢

Tagged:

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hope your visit goes well anita. Have you talked to a certified elder law attorney? that's who you need to help you. They understand Medicaid applications as well as how to get powers of attorney or guardianship in place. You are correct that you will need one or the other. You can find lists by location at nelf.org.

• CindiLee
    CindiLee Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary First Comment

Please talk to an elder law attorney. They helped me tremendously. We have POA in place so I can make decisions and sign for things for my mom. Your mom will always say "no". In their minds they are fully capable of taking care of themselves.

There are other forms of financial assistance available (Aid and Attendance for example if either parent was in the military). Again, like the comment above, an attorney can help you with a lot of that information.

It is exhausting. We didn't "sign up" to care for our parents, yet here we are. Continue your search for an ALF or memory care facility if the one you visited doesn't feel right. Keep encouraging your mom by listing all the positives about living in a facility vs. home alone.

We moved my mom into an ALF that only lasted four days before she was moved to the memory care side. She was a "flight risk". She still wants to go home but at least I know she is safe.

Good luck.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Ideally and elder law attorney; someone who practice special needs law otherwise. My aunt needed to get guardianship of her sister and a friend did so for his dad with his brother's help. My aunt was progressed enough in her dementia that the bigger piece was vetting the guardian because of the size of aunt's estate. With my friend's dad, a retired PhD scientist who had wads of cognitive reserve and Oscar-worthy showtime action, the bigger weight was proving dad's incapacity. FWIW, both parties prevailed.

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney