Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Aggression During Hygiene Care

Dio
Dio Member Posts: 682
500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Today I got a call from the MCF asking for permission to contact DH's doctor to address DH's aggression when staff tries to change him when he has soiled his Depends and pants, and when it's time to shower or shave, even worse when they try to take the soiled clothing to laundry. My stomach is all knotted up again. I can't get into DH's mind to understand how he's processing being changed and/or having soiled clothing cleaned. Is it just another day in the life of a LBD patient?!

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

This is so so common. Be happy that they are being proactive about trying to solve the problem instead of just asking him to be moved to

a different facility

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I was told he hit one of the staff, possibly trying to swat away his/her arm/hand. I hope his neurologist will respond with adjusted medications to curb his agitation.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Even though DW is generally happy and likes being around people, showing is another issue altogether. I know the MC needs to have 2 staff members help with a shower because of her agitation & resistance. Even when she was home It was always a struggle for me to get her into the shower.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Dio I get the stomach in knots. When they told me dw slapped a cna I thought please no. But it sure sounds like you have him in a great place. They have seen it all before. You just gave them permission to use the toolbox. We are the ones who are still learning, it's hard on us. Breathe. Speaking to myself btw.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I agree that it's good they are asking for permission to contact the doctor. Hopefully they will be able to get meds to calm him down. There are times when if they have just the right person involved, the PWD will be a little more cooperative. I wish you luck. This is something that is pretty common.

• Soul Mate
    Soul Mate Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

My DH was a 50 year type 1 diabetic. He was always cold. He was a little like Goldilocks - the environment had to be just right - not too cold and not too hot. So taking showers was quite a trauma for him. Eventually I took the advice of Teepa Snow and started giving him sponge baths. I'd warm towels in the dryer. I'd turn the bathroom heater on and when the room was toasty I'd have him sit on a shower chair with a towel on it. I'd have him undress bit by bit and immediately put warm towels around the bare section of him. Then we'd clean him part by part using a warm washcloth and rinse free soap (and shampoo) that I got from Walgreens. He was always covered all over- either by towels or clothes. I had to continually warm the wash cloth with hot water during the process. I kept the bathroom heater on during the whole process, replacing the towels with various pieces of clothing. He was always very pleased at the end of the process. I imagine he had that refreshed feeling that one has after taking a real shower.

My husband has passed away. I have no experience with how a memory care facility would bathe someone, but I can tell you that in my husband's case he probably would have reacted the same way as your husband did--maybe worse. The question is who should change their ways??? The care facility or the patient?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more