Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Who's advocating for cameras/audio in care homes?

Is the Alzheimer's Association advocating our governments for verification systems in memory care facilities? I've found several states have passed legislation authorizing or requiring care homes to have cameras in memory type care homes. My future donations to the Alzheimer's Association may depend upon this answer. To date, I've not been able to find any evidence that this is happening. My experience putting my wife in a private care home for Alzheimer's patients proved disastrous. I scouted out the home for nearly 2 years, had a good neighbor highly recommend due to her mother being there for over 8 years, had left my wife there several times for day care only, yet within 3 months of moving her in, my wife's medical condition resulted in me removing her. We visited her 3 times per week. They knew when we were visiting. I had requested cameras but they denied based on privacy BS. Immediately after removing her, Doctors confirmed pressure wounds were most likely result of being placed in a wheel chair and left for extended periods of time. This contributed to finding a blood clot in her leg. The final straw was when her dentist told me it was obvious she had not been brushing her teeth. Bottom line; I'll never put my wife in a care home again without verification (ie: cameras and audio). They can't defend themselves and the care givers know they can get away with terrible behavior and care. I hope to hear from someone in the Alzheimer's Association that shed some insight on this issue.

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I agree there should be cameras. I will NEVER put my DH in either of the 2 facilities where I live. We live in a remote area of Northern California and the nearest place besides the two local places, are 2.5 hours away. I’m lucky he’s not at a point to even consider something like that, but you bring up a very important point of keeping our loved ones safe. On a side note, my 92 year old father had to go into a supposed facility after a hospital stay to help him get stronger. My mom couldn’t do everything. He was sharp as a tack. The place almost killed him. He had terrifying nightmares when we got him out of there after 6 weeks. And he lived in a well populated area. No thanks.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more