Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Support Groups for Younger Onset

Hello. I just joined this forum and am looking for a younger onset support group for my DH, who was diagnosed with vascular demetia at 62 and will be 65 this year. He currently belongs to a support group that meets twice a month, once on zoom and once in-person. All the other participants in the group are at least 10+ years older than him and he feels that they have Alzheimer's, but that's not him. Other than one Younger Onset Support Group in NYC (which isn't really feasible), there are none within my local region. Any assistance or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi MAC. Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are dealing with this.

If you look up toward the top of this page, you will see "Discussions". Click on that, then you will see a link for the forum you want.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Do a search for "memory club + your area". Also call your local chapter for an Early Stage Advisor. He is welcome to post on our boards, as Ed suggested.

Iris

• CorrieG
    CorrieG Member Posts: 46
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My husband is 50 and we also are having a difficult time connecting with anyone in our age group. We’re excluded from some local resources because we’re not 65 or older.

I thought about a local brain injury or stroke support groups. Could you consider dementia an injury? I haven’t actually called them. Need to do that.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited July 2023

Corrie, I don't think people would typically consider dementia an injury. My personal opinion would be that it is closer to a mental illness, but most would probably not consider it that. But in the end, it wouldn't hurt to call every place that you think might be helpful. Many organizations might be willing to "bend the criteria" a little for you, so it might be worth your time. There is more to be gained than lost (time) through a phone call. I wish you luck.

If you are looking for support groups, you will probably not be rejected because of dementia. I recently attended a support group from NAMI (national alliance for mental illness), and there was a lot of information that related, but not targeted, to dementia. I found it helpful, although a support group for dementia would better suit our challenges.

• MAC1105
    MAC1105 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank you, Ed, Iris and Corrie for your comments and suggestions. I will ask my DH if he would like to try to connect with others in his age range through this forum.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more