Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

ALZ research for a dear friend (DF)

My Dear Friend has not been diagnosed because she refuses to get evaluated. We've been friends over 45 years and she is like my sister. I've offered to help in any way I can, as 12 years ago, I cared for my dad who had Alzheimer's until he passed away. My heart hurts that DF is going through this.
Let me explain DF current actions for any feedback. A few years ago, my DF got so forgetful that she had to close her business. It has quickly progressed to confusion, and delusional stories repeatedly.... DF doesn't know my name and she doesn't differentiate between her two boys but relates to the grandchildren, not by their name. DF is mostly happy & friendly, moves about on her own. DF doesn't cook anymore or even wash clothes.. its just too confusing for her. DF tells long stories of "doing things", never names of anyone or any specific place. DF demands that her DH drive her to a place that she adamantly searches for daily but is not there. DH put over 500 miles on his car last week just letting DF direct him on an empty goose chase. DH was so frustrated that he told her he wasn't going anywhere, which angered her to the point she got the keys and was going without him.. DH now accommodates. Recently, in late afternoons, DF gets anxious and confused, which may be related to sundowning.
I want to help but DF refuses the Dr. She is stubborn and DH is at his wits end.. DF annual Dr appt & blood work is tomorrow but even if he refers a neurologist as he did last year, she probably won't go.
Frustrated friend..

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Your friend may have anosognosia (see link below), a condition that prevents people from being aware of their memory issues. My wife was similar to your DF I that she would not discuss or agree to see a neurologist for her dementia. It took several years to get her into a neurologist and only by telling a fiblet that she was being evaluated for sleep apnea. The neurologist was aware of my ruse to get her into the office and she initially stated talking to her about her sleep patterns then moved on to a memory evaluation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513361/#:~:text=Anosognosia%20is%20a%20neurological%20condition,in%20right%20hemisphere%20stroke%20patients.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,767
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

The Dr needs to know the situation in advance and your DF can simply be told that the additional appointments are required by Medicare or insurance. this has worked many times.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more