Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Practical Road Map

FAHNJL
FAHNJL Member Posts: 35
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

DW diagnosed ALZ at 64. Still able to work part time. I know generally what needs to happen like POA, wills, etc. But I want to go about it correctly in the proper order. Do I meet with Elder Care Attorney? Do I file for SSID immediately? Do I meet with estate planner?

I welcome all personal experiences and links to additional sources. Thank you.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

FAHNJL, Welcome but sorry you needed to seek out our community. A good Certified Elder Law Attorney should be able showed be able to handle all your estate planning needs so start there.

As for SSDI I would would suggest logging on to the Social Security site and setting up a log for your wife. Then you can look at what she is eligible for based on her work income history versus the disability benefit. At age 64 there may not be much of a difference. While your in the site she can assign you or someone else as her designee to make future changes to the account on her behave, you should do this step now.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi FahnJL, welcome. You have come to a good place, though I am sorry you have need of it.

I think Joe's advice about checking out the SS website is a good one. I would ask in part what kind of work she is doing--and whether there is liability for her to get sued or fired. You probably need to think about any corporate retirement benefits she may be entitled to besides social security; if she is at risk of losing those if she is fired for cause, that may be a reason to take medical leave then retirement asap. The attorney should be able to help you with that.

A sad side note, just remember you will likely need to redo you own will/powers of attorney too, as she should not serve as your POA or executor.

You can learn a lot about what to expect here, and find good support. Wish you well.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Nothing much to add, but another vote for seeing a CELA soon. They will be able to show you the way while considering your personal circumstances. You have excellent replies above.

• FAHNJL
    FAHNJL Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Thanks everybody.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,767
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Attorney for DPOA etc.

• Despondent
    Despondent Member Posts: 7
    5 Likes First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment
    My husband and I saw an Elder Attorney within a few months of his diagnosis. Our problem is that he has two children from a previous marriage, who he is alienated from. I have no children. My sister who I was close to died suddenly four years ago. I miss not having someone to share my problems. My older sister and I have not had any communication for several years. When we sold our business, we moved out-of-state. It's difficult finding close friends when you are not working or involved in social groups. The result is no one to catch up the details. We both have Advanced Directives. We are each others Medical POA. I am his Durable POA. A mutual friend volunteered to be my POA, so we had the papers drawn up. She and I have drifted apart since that time. It's a difficult place to be when you have no one to do the "dirty work". Sometimes I think does it really matter at all?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

We are in the process of getting the legal paperwork in order. My DH asks me repeatedly “and why are we doing this”. It is difficult to explain to him why. He did not know he had an MCI diagnosis. He thought they still didn’t know what was wrong. I explained the concerns about his driving and the financial implications if anything were to happen now that he has a diagnosis documented. That was a hard reality for him. He is in sales and is paid on commission. His focus is on work and making as much money as he can so I am ok when he’s gone. The hard part is I feel like this time should be spent building relationships with our kids and grandkids and not work. My DH does not realize yet that he cannot be my POA or medical POA. I am having my son be that person. I also have to tell my son which will be a hard wake up for him.

this is a hard journey and reading posts my those further in I feel like each day is the best day left

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more