Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My First Brave Step

Hello Everyone, I'm James and I'm 62 years old....

I'm taking the time to better learn more AZ/Dementia. My mom recently passed (Feb 23) and she was diagnosed as having dementia. I'm concerned that I'm starting to experience some early symptoms. Thank you all for being here and your willingness to share.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome James. I'm sorry to learn about your mom's passing. Were you her caregiver? Often caregivers will develop dementia-like symptoms due to the stresses of caregiving. It may take a while for you to recover. What symptoms are you noticing? Think about consulting your doctor to do a thorough medical evaluation to search for dementia-mimics. Think also about how you can nurture yourself in this time.

Iris

• FAHNJL
    FAHNJL Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Hi, James! Go see a doctor. There are a lot of things that affect memory that are very treatable. Your doctor should eliminate those things first.

Good luck and have a great day! Let us know what's going on. We're here.

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited July 2023

@JamesE Regardless of your diagnosis, it may be useful to do things that can help such as exercise, keeping your mind engaged (puzzles, perhaps?), making sure you do not have hearing loss.

While a doctor is probably the best for diagnosis, hints like this is useful.

And keeping healthy

If things are starting to annoy you, like missing medication, then assisting devices like pill boxes, medication reminder devices (on a phone, a smart watch) may help avoid trouble. But some people say that relying too much on these things may not be all that good. For example, instead of looking at a shopping list immediately, try to remember using some memory tricks (categorizing things, etc.) See article in New York Times (subscription may be required) https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/06/well/mind/memory-loss-prevention.html?smid=url-share

In summary, it references a book "The Complete Guide to Memory: The Science of Strengthening Your Mind,” by Dr. Richard Restak’s and states that tools such as mental exercises, sleep habits and diet that can help boost memory. So you may not be able to cure it, but you can forestall it.

Note: I have "Gifted" the NY Times article here, which is readable without a subscription for 30 days from July 26, 2023 and it then expires.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more