Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When To File For SSDI?

FAHNJL
FAHNJL Member Posts: 35
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

DW received Alzheimer's diagnosis last week. Per the advice of many, we have made an appointment with a CELA, it that doesn't happen for another month. She still works part-time, but wants to quit to enjoy the rest of her somewhat lucid time. I didn't want to make any moves before consulting the atty. but my gut says file SSDI now. Opinions?

Comments

• Karen-luvsumer
    Karen-luvsumer Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

File now for SSDI. SSDI will want documenting info and will do its own investigation which will take at the very least months. Unfortunately with this disease your DW’s condition even under the best care will continue to deteriorate. My gut says if your DW wants to quit her job she should. It could give both of you the opportunity to enjoy life before things get more difficult. The memories you’ll have the opportunity to make will help sustain you in the rough times ahead.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited July 2023

I really don't know much about this, but I wonder if SSDI would be available to someone who actually could work, but doesn't because they want to enjoy whatever they have left. I also wonder if being fired because of the disease would be more helpful, although that could put in jeopardy any kind of resources the company might offer if they were not fired. Like I said, I know next to nothing about this, but threw this out for questioning. Maybe your lawyer would be willing to answer that one question over the phone??

• Karen-luvsumer
    Karen-luvsumer Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

You are still able to work while receiving SSDI benefits but limits will be placed on your earnings. If you exceed the limits your case is reevaluated and they might withdraw the benefits. Leaving the workplace is a difficult decision. My thoughts are that Alzheimer’s takes so much away that in the case where your LO is able to make a decision it should be honored and quitting on their own terms preserves their dignity.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Consider using short term disability (sick leave) until the application for SSDI has been approved. Of course, consult with the CELA before making a move. You don't want to unknowingly lose benefits. Is the job aware of her diagnosis or complaining of poor performance? Do not inform them at this time without legal advice, they might fire her immediately.

Iris

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

She should probably retire instead of quit. It may make a difference in her benefits at her company. When you fill out the paperwork one of the questions is when was your last day at work. You may want to wait until she retires until you turn it in. Also keep all of your final payouts i.e. vacation pay, sick pay etc. pay stubs. When my wife retired they payed out her vacation pay and sick pay so it looked on paper like she worked a month longer than her last day. They were going to take back a whole month pay thinking she worked a month longer than she did. That was a stressful week. Even after explaining the situation they still fined her a half months pay.

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I did ask our attorney about SSDI and they told me to plan on 5 months after DH stops working before benefits kick in. DH does not have any benefits at work that would ease the burden of no income during the wait. I am desperately trying to get things paid off and build enough savings to get through the waiting period. DH is in sales and is paid on commission. His line of work is an all or nothing situation.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I'm not an attorney, but my understanding is that SSDI doesn't start until 5 consecutive months of not being able to work, which needs to be validated by a medical doctor. The application also requires the last date worked. While my DH was on medical sick leave and was receiving "sick pay" from the company, the last date worked is the last day he reported for duty and worked, irregardless of how long his sick leave was. So start counting 5 months from the last date worked, and the disability benefit begins on this day, if approved. And in the case of Early Onset dementia (a.k.a. prior to age 65), the approval process will go much quicker. Good luck!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

"consult with the CELA before making a move. You don't want to unknowingly lose benefits. " I Think that is key. There is too much to lose by action or inaction without a CELA's approval.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more