Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The Good , the Bad , and the Ugly of late stage 7

I’m posting this mostly for Josey Wales, and for others who are now in 7 . I want to be fair and give an accurate picture of what it looks like for others.

So just as a little review, my husband 59 has had Alzheimer’s for 7 years. He has never hit a plateau , but just crawls along at a glacial pace. He is at home on Hospice ( never anywhere but home) for two years. He has just enough decline to be renewed every 60 days. He is bedbound, contracted, and sleeps most of the time.

I would say the good is that he sleeps so much that he is easy to care for. For example, I could easily work from home in this stage. I fill my days with reading , gardening, home projects , and the daily trip out to stores close by. It’s peaceful here and quiet. These are a lot of things you all would kill for- a few moments of peace to do what you want. He is medicated when needed and gets great care if I do say so myself.

The bad is there is only minimal interaction. His quality of life has sunk to just about nothing. He went from being awake an hour in the morning and an hour at night, to 30 minutes each, then 15 each . Last week he was awake about 5 minutes each . He used to at least enjoy a little time with his wife and his favorite tunes and food. Now it’s more likely he will fall asleep halfway through the meal. I have begun to feel like a human feeding tube, for a person who is barely awake , eating with eyes closed. It’s a gray area. Is he actually awake? Half asleep? Asleep? Not really sure .

The ugly. He has lost weight since October and has Cachexia . I’m watching him waste away, and it’s graphic and visual. I’m probably going to have some PTSD / nightmares of being chased by skeletons , or something I will have to pray away. I’m feeding a body that doesn’t have any idea what to do with the food at this point.

So there we are: the good , the bad , and the ugly. His BP and respirations have begun to lower so I think that maybe just maybe I can see the light at the end of the tunnel? Maybe? Please God. I , more than anything else , would like just be able to plan something. The not being able to plan has been a killer for me . Hate living day to day.

Thanks for listening

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you for sharing your story. You were right when you said stage 7 is something we don't hear a lot about. But it's part of the disease, and should not be hidden. I'm sorry you are both going through this, and while this might sound really bad, I hope it doesn't last much longer. When he gets to rest, it will be your turn, but it will be a different kind of hard. I wish there were an easier way.

• joant
    joant Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Battlebuddy, you are a saint. It's horrible to watch someone continue to decline and painting this picture of the last days was very helpful to me, awareness is essential to a caregiver. I am really astonished that hospice doesn't step in and do what they do, expedite his passing. Maybe your requests are not being heard by the right people. I would fight to have his living will enforced, he can't get any more terminal than he is. God Bless You.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Battlebuddy - I finally found enough time to read some more posts and just now saw yours. We're in such similar, but different, places. For some reason I had forgotten that our husband's are the same age. My DH is in memory care, so I don't have to see him all the time. I don't take care of most of his needs, except help him eat a meal when I visit. I just can't imagine what you're going through day in and day out.

I get what you mean by making plans. It's a kind of limbo.

My DH also has low blood pressure and heart rates at times. Hospice attributes it to "deep sleep." It comes back up.

For a while DH was losing weight. For those not at stage 7 yet, hospice explained to me that his body is just not able to do everything it should, and the ability to digest goes along with everything else. But for my DH, it seems like he wasn't really to that stage yet, just wasn't eating as well as he should have been. Some changes to food and medicine and his weight stabilized.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 2023

(((BattleBuddy))) - I think our LOs were tracking at about the same pace for a while last year and then my DH seemed to plateau. We are stuck at 6E with occasional 7 moments. It is tough but I believe what you are weathering is so much harder than where I am at the moment.

I know it is all hard, for all of us and our LOs. I do hope DH does not continue to linger, though it sounds like he could given the overall health and so forth. You are providing such superior care, what a blessing you are. My heart goes out to you, to Josey, Vitruvius and all our other forum mates who may be stage 7 long haulers. Holding you all in the light.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

i appreciate the later-stage talk very much. I desperately hope to keep DH (end of Stage 6) home while also hoping i don’t lose my mind in the process. Side note, seems Drs use the 3 Stage scale over the 7 Stages of the FAST scale. I understand the time-line is unique for everyone…but it does seem the specific order of decline & lost abilities do follow a largely accurate order.

So it feels helpful to have an idea of where I’m going next with the FAST scale, even if we can’t know how long each step lasts. Whereas i feel like the 3 Stage Scale doesn’t offer any guidance or preparation. Opinions on that?

Again,,,thank you to everyone willing to talk about this. I’m a bit desperate lately and reading about others helps.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited July 2023

I suppose it's even harder to gauge for LBD patients, except when it's the "last stage." While DH is physically still very strong but walking as if he were 20 years older, his mental decline is very visible. When incontinence started, some websites say it's nearing the end. What does that mean, really? He's still eating, however, he is scarfing down food like there's no tomorrow. He's still plagued with fear, anxiety and resisting shower or regular hygiene like changing soiled pants. Medication adjustment is ongoing every month it seems. I also understand that this can change at the drop of a hat. Roller coaster is an understatement, and it's a roller coaster built on a slippery slope. Hence, in my case, I can't think about which stage until the last stage. Thank you for sharing your stories.

• Lgw
    Lgw Member Posts: 115
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Your comments so mirrored mine but I was blessed that his only lasted 5 months. Watching him become a skeleton was so difficult. He had a full beard so it hid the look in his face. When I had to trim his mustache I was shocked to feel how bony his face was. When he began to choke on even water Hospice told me it was time to stop all food and liquid, that to gag on food would be much harder on him. I stopped and he surprisingly never asked for anything. After 7 days with no food or water a new Hospice nurse came in and continued to coax him to eat or drink. I was livid. Thankfully he refused. I reported her to the Hospice office and asked she not be allowed to return. They apologized and she was replaced. These days are tough and I suggest you get hugs because they will end. May you know that your time will be your own.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I saw this thread a few days ago, but was too afraid to actually look at it since my sister is straddling the end of Stage 6 and the beginnings of Stage 7. I wanted to know, but I didn't want to know, if you know what I mean.

Finally, here I am.

Peggy's still physically very healthy, but unlike @Vitruvius longevity is not in the family genes, so I don't think this will linger for years. Her appetite is just now starting to slip, and over the last month I could tell that she's lost weight. She's still at the finger foods stage, but it takes her forever to eat a meal. We all tend to help her when she drinks liquids (holding the glass/cup for her). Peggy still walks, but barely. If we go up and down the halls, we use a wheelchair.

So now I kind of know where she is and what to expect.

Thank you @Battlebuddy for your post. It can't have been easy to write...

And thank you to everyone else in this thread for discussing Stage 7. I won't lie, I'm terrified of what's coming, but at least I now have knowledge, and that's a big help.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you battlebuddy for the searingly honest look at stage 7. I appreciate it, as hard as it may have been for you to write and for us to read. You are my definition of courage. Staring into the abyss and carrying on as best you can, and as you must.

My DW has been in late stage 6 for some time now. (How about now, I’m with you about preferring the FAST scale.) There have been some changes recently that may mean we’re approaching or entering stage 7. Tbh, I hope DW doesn’t cycle all the way through the sub stages of stage 7…not that I control it. I’ve always wanted to be clear eyed about what’s next, but I’ll admit that as awful as each stage is, as much as the losses mount up, I dread stage 7 more than what we’ve already experienced. I think that’s because there is a lot of potential physical suffering that I’d do a lot, if I could, to spare my DW.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Thank you. I know I’ll be seeing this in the next year or two in DH, diagnosed 8 years ago.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

DW has been stage 7 for over 5 years . She is 71 and very healthy for a person with no cognitive functioning. Not on hospice . Weight is steady Has to be hand fed and has no reaction to people. She looks lovely . Breaks my heart

• Karen-luvsumer
    Karen-luvsumer Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

Mine too, I’m so sad for both of you.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,721
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Agree that this is very helpful for those of us at earlier stages, appreciate your honesty and candor. Thinking of all the fellow travelers tonight.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Just want to second what M1 said.

• jupteq
    jupteq Member Posts: 1
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

My DW (almost 74) diagnosed with AD a little over seven years ago. Went through the stages fairly quickly until she got to stage 7. For the past two years she has been bedridden with no communication. Rarely any eye contact. She does eat well (I feed her small bites with spoon) and does not sleep excessively. She was in home hospice for nearly a year in 2021-2022 but she was discharged in September 2022 because she was not getting any worse. Don't know if this will go on for another week or 5 years. Every AD case is different.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more