Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just wanted to check in

Hoot619
Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Hi Everybody, I haven't been on in a while. Things are going fairly well. Still miss her and probably will always.. Still making my meetings and staying sober. If it wasn't for them and you people I don't know if I would have made it OK. Reading what others were going thru at times made me know that things could be worse for me. All of you Caretakers' give yourselves a Pat on the back. It's so hard at times but we can get through it. Please let others know if you are at wit's end. Talking to someone sure helps, we can't keep it bottled up inside us. Love you all ,Ken

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hoot!! I'm glad you stopped by. I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Glad you're staying out of trouble. 😉 Stop by a little more often to let us know you're OK.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((Hoot!)))

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Hi Hoot, thanks for the update. It's good to hear from you! It sounds like you are doing well.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ken so good to hear from you. You're in my prayers often. Stop in more often and let us know how the fishing is and all those special meals you eat. I get hungry when you post them.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Yooper Hoot! How good it is to hear from you. It is good to hear you are doing well; that is wonderful. Just got an email re Ishpeming's annual Italian Fest. Right near you, (well, not too far), Ishpeming is having its 124th Italian Fest in Quall State Park

Should you be looking for something different to do, this may be interesting to check out. Lots of Italian food, greased pole climbing with a $100 prize, music and merriment - it will be this weekend, so you would have time to make it if so moved. BUT - don't look for pasties there, but perhaps some nice meatball sandwiches and tasty cudighi's. For those who are not Yoopers and never heard of a cudighi, here is a link:

https://abc10up.com/2017/12/08/cudighi-provides-uniqueness-deliciousness-yoopers/

Don't be a stranger; drop in and visit a spell now and then, we enjoy hearing from you.

J. (The other Yooper, but now far from home.)

• Ed1937

Now I wanna be a Yooper. 👍️

• Jo C.

Definition Yooper: One who was born in and lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - .UP. = Yooper. Ishpemng is far up in the U.P. and is part of Marquette County, very, very close to Lake Superior and not far from Presque Isle in Marquette.

We have our own accent, our traditional foods, our friendly way of being neighborly, and a cultural mix of Scandinavian, Italian, Finnish, French, some Irish and a few others mixed in. It came to be a very busy Iron Ore Mining town with multiple iron ore mines; my grandfather was killed in one of the mines.

Beautiful, beautiful place and autumn is even more breathtaking in its beauty. I still miss it; when "home," it is like putting on a comfy pair of slippers; but alas, the last of the younger relatives are now moved out of state and the elders; grandparents, aunts and uncles, have all passed away, so we do not travel back there as we used to. And the fishing! You should see the size of the trout! And oh; the woods, they are beautiful beyond description where one can actually listen and hear the quiet sounds of the trees talking to one another in the soft breezes.

Ed; I think you would enjoy it; very unique.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I knew I was gonna get hungry.

• Jo C.

Oh Stewart; you should see, smell and taste the famous U.P. homemade pasties! Not the takeout; but homemade; great big ones with no skimping, and the whole house smells like heaven when baking in the oven . . . . now even my mouth is watering.

J.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks for the update Hoot. It's nice to hear from you.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hoot it’s wonderful to hear from you. Very glad things are going well for you. How’s your family doing? I still think of the images of your cabin and the beautiful water nearby. Bet you’re already thinking of deer season.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hoot, so good to hear from you. As an ex-Michigander, I followed you and your DW's story before I began posting. It is really good to hear that you are doing well and making your meetings. Good for you!

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

I'm glad so many of you replied, you all were a very big part of my life when I was going thru the hard times. I get on here and see that a lot of you are so troubled with what we have to go thru. The best thing I did was tell others what was happening to me when I was really hurting. Nothing I was doing for Jan was working anymore and it really got to me. Thanks again for listening and giving me advice. You all are special people doing what has to be done for your loved Ones. I'd give anything to hear her voice again. Love to all and I hope you all have a good day. Hoot

• Ed1937

"I'd give anything to hear her voice again." Hoot, I'm sorry it's so darn hard. But there are some of us who can relate to whatever you are feeling, and that's why staying with the forum is a good thing. At least it is for me. You and I, and several others, are living on the other side of dementia now. It's OK to put what you are feeling into words, then posting. You are not alone.

• Jo C.

Hoot; I so remember when you first came here and Jan was rapidly declining. You had to learn so much very quickly, but you rose to the significant challenges, never flagging and did your very, very best which was really effective on Jan's behalf. You did good, Ken.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney