Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Telling a Young Grandchild

FAHNJL
FAHNJL Member Posts: 35
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

DW has an EO Alzheimer's diagnosis at 64. We raise two grandchildren, 19 and 7. Because they live with us, they need to understand why grandma acts the way she does. The older girl gets it, but I can't find a way to effectively educate the younger one. I'm looking for resources. Anybody?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

https://www.hgseniorliving.com/blog/top-childrens-books-to-help-your-kids-understand-dementia-and-alzheimers

Here are 2 links for you, although it might appear to be only one. There are others too. Google "Alzheimer's books for children".

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,361
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

This sounds heartbreaking all around. I am sorry.

In your shoes, I might reach out to the 800 number here and ask to speak to a care consultant. This service is free and will offer you a highly trained social workers who might know of age-appropriate resources. Another resource might be your younger girl's pediatrician; they may know of resources associated with your regional pediatric hospital's mental health department. Another option might be a local or national support group for parenting grandparents like this one-

Resources for grandparents raising grandchildren » NCRC

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

We also have a 7 year old grandson living with us. I know we will need to explain it eventually but we are early in the process and I don’t think it is noticeable for him yet.

• jillpietroburgo
    jillpietroburgo Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited August 2023

It is insightful that you see that dementia has an affect on everyone. Your grandchildren are on the journey too. There are a lot of great books that you can locate on a site called alzauthors.com

I have recently published my own book for younger children ages 3-8. It was written as much for parents/caregivers as the child. There are many tips on how to help teach and support a child during this time. You can find my book on Amazon. It is called, "Sometimes Grandma Calls Me Jean."

My author website is jillpietroburgo.com

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CD39JNTT

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The hardcover is $28.50 for a 40 page book. Paperback is $15.50. This thread is 2 weeks old, and if the author was interested in buying a book, they probably would have already ordered one.

The author of this post wrote it as her first post, with a link to her book. I did not report it because a good book on this subject is welcomed. Use your own judgement if you think it should be reported.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more