Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Deciding to place DH in Memory Care

I am 69, my DH is 78. He was diagnosed in 2019, but, as with most of us, symptoms started a few years before. His mother was also victim of this horrible disease and I was the main family member who cared for her before she could no longer live at home. Deciding to have her go live somewhere safe was much easier as I/we could just say, "You are not safe living alone any longer." Now, as my DH progresses thru this, I am wondering how to tell him I can no longer take care of him as he requires. He becomes argumentative, then contrite: "I'll do better, I won't be a bother, etc." We all know the memory of such conversations don't stick. Although he is not in final stages of the disease, I am weary. I do have help 2-3 days per week, 3-4 hours each time. He is "ok" with the caregivers, but tells them he doesn't need them and often tells them to leave. Upon my return, he is agitated and nasty to me. I may have had a reprieve while I was away, but the behavior when I return is waring on me. His sleeping patterns have changed in the past few months and he is often hard to get up. We retire between 9:30-10pm and I try to start waking him between 10:30 am and 11 am. He often won't get out of bed until after noon. When he gets up, he wants to go somewhere, anywhere. He is on seroquil, Lexapro, along with Aricept and Nemenda. I have begun to look for Memory care available in my area, as much for my sanity as for his needs. Most of the articles are written about placing a parent, not a spouse. Any tidbits of wisdom are welcomed.

Comments

• Auntie Lu
    Auntie Lu Member Posts: 7
    Second Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Comment

Dio, Thank you for posting your experience. Giving myself permission to do a lot of things is difficult. I am working on getting out of myself, but the feelings of guilt and second thoughts plague me. I have copied your remarks to help me remember. Everyone is different, yet I long to have someone walking this path with me. I don't feel "alone", yet I am alone. Kids are younger and busy with raising their own kiddos and making a living. They do what they can. Thanks again. I do appreciate your comments :)

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry you are going through this. I'm afraid I'm right behind you. This last week has been hell. My DH has ranted & raved & screamed. He's like a child having tantrums when they don't get their way. I know it's not his fault, it's the disease but I'm constantly on the verge of tears. Waiting for the Geri Neuro Psychiatrist office to call for an appointment to adjust his meds. I waited as long as possible to ask for meds. He just started on Resperidone low dose at night and it seemed to make it worse when it wears off. I can't imagine making the decision to find a MC facility. My DH is also 78 with possible VD. His anger & agitation has really increased the last couple of months. He won't listen and I'm afraid he's going to get hurt. Please keep us posted.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I put my spouse in memory care almost a year ago now. We're young and I had to choose between keeping him home and keeping my job. He loved to go for walks, but was having more trouble getting along with people and more trouble staying safe at home.

I remember those conversations about "I'll be good," "I'll stay home," and whatever else he thought would make me bring him home--pulls at the heartstrings, for sure. Remember that whatever you choose, the trajectory is the same for him. I think my spouse likes being around people and having activities he can be successful with, and I know I like having a job and a life.

• Auntie Lu

Ed1937, Your words made my breath catch in my throat. Thank you for your candor and insight. I need to hear these things.

• Auntie Lu

M1, Victoria is genius! I am starting a list! I am so thankful I decided to post my situation. Although not threatened with a weapon, I have been kicked out of our home, had car doors slammed on me, pushed, accused of all kinds of things and so much more, the emotions that I experience that go along with such behavior runs the gamut. "Putting it out there" is already giving me freedom I haven't felt in a long time. Thank you for sharing.

• Auntie Lu

toolbeltexpert,

Thank you for these words: You will get thru it, not around it but thru it.

I have thought about this for many days and it has been an encouragement to me. Like the saying, "The difficult times make us stronger," I can't help but wonder how strong I need to be. I'm not strong enough yet, although, I've got the strength to do this moment, this minute, this hour, this day...

I appreciate your "bluntness." I've read many books and articles about the disease. Most tell you "about" what has happened to others and "about" how behaviors may be. When I read the book, "My Two Elaines," by Martin Schreiber, I was able to say, "That's what I see" and, That's what DH does!" Being direct and blunt in this journey might make some of us cringe, even hurt a few feeling initially, but in the long run it is best.

I will need to make the hard decision of "when" very soon. Getting everything together that is needed, procuring a desired MC that has an available room, fretting about how DH will react, and wondering how exactly is this going to happen all weigh heavy on top of the day-to-day experiences.

Thank you,

Auntie Lu

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

@Auntie Lu Thanks for asking. My heart also breaks reading these posts. We're doing about the same as you. Some days are OK, some are hell. He cried at breakfast the other day and said he's scared. It broke my heart in two. I'm scared too. The Neurologist put him on Respiradone low dose at night. It is helping him sleep. We have an appointment next week with Geri Psychiatrist who will prescribe & monitor meds to calm him. So far he can care for himself, taking showers, shaving, etc. So like you, I just get up each day and say "not today" ... For just today I can cope and care for him. I know one day it will become too much and will be a different answer but for just today.... Praying for your strength. Hugs.

• nannyritch
    nannyritch Member Posts: 11
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

That’s where I’m at. Got to get Medicaid I think first. Been hard to find a place that’s takes men Alzheimer patient with just Medicare. Hanging on

• Walter0617
    Walter0617 Member Posts: 23
    Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Nannyritch, I'm in a similar position. My DW is early-onset. We are both 69 and have been on this journey for about 6 years. She is stage 6. Some days are ok, some are difficult and some are awful. I, too, am looking into Medicaid. The only way I can afford Private Pay is to sell our home, which my elder care attorney has advised against. Some days I think it is time to move forward with placement and some days I'm not sure it is time yet. It can be such a roller coaster. DW often doesn't know me or thinks I'm her father. She tells me she wants me to "get out of her house" and has accused me of beating and abusing her, which, of course, is a complete delusion. She hasn't showered in over two years (though she does do pretty good taking sponge baths in the sink), wears the same clothes for weeks at a time and gets very agitated if I try to get her to change them. I still work part-time and have to rely on my adult sons for help. I know I'm asking too much of them. I have found it hard to get much information from Medicaid. For example, Medicaid has their own doctors who decide if the person meets the qualifications for placement. Even if my wife's neurologist recommend placement, the Medicaid doctors may not agree. It is all very confusing.

• nannyritch
    nannyritch Member Posts: 11
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

I know your feeling. I was also told Medicaid can take up to 18 months.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,074
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

For any of you trying to navigate Medicaid, you might want to contact an elder care attorney who will know the ins and outs of how to qualify and what the rules are for your particular state. Many will do an initial consult free.

Medicare does not cover memory care placements. It will cover medications and prescribed equipment such as hospital beds, wheelchairs and walkers, etc.

If you are going to need to do Medicaid placement, it is never too soon to get on the wait list of several facilities. The number of beds allocated to Medicaid are few. If one becomes available, you can always pass if you are not ready yet.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more